Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    At the beginning of the year I 100% wanted to study Medicine (AS), I'm doing Chem, Bio, Maths and History, then I realised that I actually wanted to study a subject I was passionate about and I realised I'd cry if I drop History as an AS! Basically my question is, if I get AAB/Ac (C in Chemistry, B/A in Biology - advice to people, don't do chemistry), will Oxford consider me despite the C in Chemistry? I'm hoping to have a killer personal statement and acing my admissions test? Any insight from anyone? Or does anyone study History and Politics at a uni and recommend I go there?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nellwatson12)
    Hello!
    At the beginning of the year I 100% wanted to study Medicine (AS), I'm doing Chem, Bio, Maths and History, then I realised that I actually wanted to study a subject I was passionate about and I realised I'd cry if I drop History as an AS! Basically my question is, if I get AAB/Ac (C in Chemistry, B/A in Biology - advice to people, don't do chemistry), will Oxford consider me despite the C in Chemistry? I'm hoping to have a killer personal statement and acing my admissions test? Any insight from anyone? Or does anyone study History and Politics at a uni and recommend I go there?

Cheers
    I got AABC at AS, with the C in Chemistry, and received an offer for History at Oxford. I'm now a second year and loving it!

Chemistry and Biology are highly irrelevant, and thus the marks you receive in these subjects are largely overlooked. That said, you should be able to prove to tutors that you expect to achieve the minimum entry requirements of AAA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by colourtheory)
    I got AABC at AS, with the C in Chemistry, and received an offer for History at Oxford. I'm now a second year and loving it!

Chemistry and Biology are highly irrelevant, and thus the marks you receive in these subjects are largely overlooked. That said, you should be able to prove to tutors that you expect to achieve the minimum entry requirements of AAA.
    Cheers! The reason for the lack of AAA is extenuating circumstances so I'll sneak that in some how!

ReputationRep:
    I can't work out from your post if you are still taking History to full A level. Without this (or a comparable other 'essay based subject') you are going to have to convince any Uni of your sudden desire to read History at Uni level. And for many Unis, that you aren't doing History or Politics will mean an instant rejection.

If you are still doing History, are you saying you are predicted a C grade? Again this will be an issue as it shows this is your weak subject, and obviously for any Uni asking AAB etc, a C grade wont wash. Or are you saying that you have good grades in 3 subjects but a C in Chemistry as 4th subject? If so, dont worry. All Unis look at only 3 A levels (yes even Oxbridge) so the 4th grade is irrelevant.

Btw, you will need 5 choices for your UCAS form - look at other Unis aside from Oxbridge, and dont forget you will need at least 1 choice with much lower grade requirements as a potential Insurance - look at Sussex, Portsmouth, Oxford Brookes, Keele and go to lots of Open Days over the next few months.

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    I can't work out from your post if you are still taking History to full A level. Without this (or a comparable other 'essay based subject' you are going to have to convince any Uni of your sudden desire to read History at Uni level. And for many Unis, that you aren't doing History or Politics will mean an instant rejection.

If you are still doing History, are you saying you are predicted a C grade? Again this will be an issue as it shows this is your weak subject, and obviously for any Uni asking AAB etc, a C grade wont wash. Or are you saying that you have good grades in 3 subjects but a C in Chemistry as 4th subject? If so, dont worry. All Unis look at only 3 A levels (yes even Oxbridge) so the 4th grade is irrelevant.

Btw, you will need 5 choices for your UCAS form - look at other Unis aside from Oxbridge, and dont forget you will need at least 1 choice with much lower grade requirements as a potential Insurance - look at Sussex, Portsmouth, Oxford Brookes, Keele and go to lots of Open Days over the next few months.

Good Luck!
    Sorry! Didn't explain myself very well! Am doing full history A level and am predicted an A, cheers for your help! Yeah I'm looking at Sussex, Cardiff, QM and stuff, thanks for the reassurance

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.