Turn on thread page Beta

To cut a long story short, I've recently relocated to a new city and was quite desperate to find a new job (my tenancy was running out in my old city). I got offered a job that I'm actually quite lucky to have (it's a pretty decent role), but I was sceptical of the commute from the start... however, I was so glad to have been offered the job that I decided to put the commute to the back of my mind.

However, I've only been at the job for 2 months and I'm already sick of the commute. It takes 25 minutes on the train and a 30 min walk to get to work. I know people do much worse than that, but it's not so much the time it takes (although don't get me wrong, it bothers me), but it's more how awkward the commute is. The trains run at awkward times, so I often end up running for the train everyday or not getting back til 7pm. There are no toilets on the whole 30 min walk and neither at the station. I know this won't be a regular occurrence, but I was unwell the other day and had no choice but to nearly embarrass myself in public because there was nowhere to go. I tried to order a taxi on this day but was informed it would be an hour due to traffic and availability - I could pick up a taxi in 5 mins in my old city. Therefore, if I can't walk for whatever reason, I'm stranded for a good while.

But the thing that bothers me the most is the girl I commute with (there's also another guy who is nice but we have nothing in common). I can't avoid these people, as there is only 1 train we can get in the morning (without being ridiculously early or late) and I always bump into them without fail. The girl always comes to find me even when I deliberately try to 'hide' in a different carriage. I have realised over the past 2 months that she is a little bit psycho... she kicked off at the guy we walk with the other day because she disliked his clothing and called him out for being embarrassing. She switches from extremely grumpy to overly chatty on different days and is just generally a bit unbearable. She *****es about everyone and really drains me down on my commute, which I wanted to use for reading/listening to music/chilling or whatever.

It's getting to the point at work where I'm not interested or engaged in the role because the commute ruins my day. I live in the city centre and commute out whilst most people commute in... I could be walking 5/10 mins to work.

Is this an acceptable reason to leave a job? I'm not usually the sort of person to jump ship so dramatically, but if I'm feeling this way so early on then I know it's only going to get worse. I don't want to burn any bridges, but at the same time I don't wanna be grumpy/drained every morning and evening when I get home!

Have any of you ever had to deal with an awkward commute?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    To cut a long story short, I've recently relocated to a new city and was quite desperate to find a new job (my tenancy was running out in my old city). I got offered a job that I'm actually quite lucky to have (it's a pretty decent role), but I was sceptical of the commute from the start... however, I was so glad to have been offered the job that I decided to put the commute to the back of my mind.

However, I've only been at the job for 2 months and I'm already sick of the commute. It takes 25 minutes on the train and a 30 min walk to get to work. I know people do much worse than that, but it's not so much the time it takes (although don't get me wrong, it bothers me), but it's more how awkward the commute is. The trains run at awkward times, so I often end up running for the train everyday or not getting back til 7pm. There are no toilets on the whole 30 min walk and neither at the station. I know this won't be a regular occurrence, but I was unwell the other day and had no choice but to nearly embarrass myself in public because there was nowhere to go. I tried to order a taxi on this day but was informed it would be an hour due to traffic and availability - I could pick up a taxi in 5 mins in my old city. Therefore, if I can't walk for whatever reason, I'm stranded for a good while.

But the thing that bothers me the most is the girl I commute with (there's also another guy who is nice but we have nothing in common). I can't avoid these people, as there is only 1 train we can get in the morning (without being ridiculously early or late) and I always bump into them without fail. The girl always comes to find me even when I deliberately try to 'hide' in a different carriage. I have realised over the past 2 months that she is a little bit psycho... she kicked off at the guy we walk with the other day because she disliked his clothing and called him out for being embarrassing. She switches from extremely grumpy to overly chatty on different days and is just generally a bit unbearable. She *****es about everyone and really drains me down on my commute, which I wanted to use for reading/listening to music/chilling or whatever.

It's getting to the point at work where I'm not interested or engaged in the role because the commute ruins my day. I live in the city centre and commute out whilst most people commute in... I could be walking 5/10 mins to work.

Is this an acceptable reason to leave a job? I'm not usually the sort of person to jump ship so dramatically, but if I'm feeling this way so early on then I know it's only going to get worse. I don't want to burn any bridges, but at the same time I don't wanna be grumpy/drained every morning and evening when I get home!

Have any of you ever had to deal with an awkward commute?
    Is there any possibility of getting out of your current tenancy, i would consider moving closer before giving up on an otherwise good job
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Its a personal choice, but imo I would be looking at ways of keeping the job and not quitting.

The commute is not that far and it looks only short term. You should be looking at terminating your current tenancy (as mentioned by claire), which you stated was running out anyway. You make little mention of that and whether you can terminate. You need to provide details as to the type of tenancy and then i could make a guess. If you are a student and its just the 3rd year tenancy, then it will be coming to a natural end. its unlikely the LL will let you terminate. If you are a graduate, then you would have a better chance of terminating in the normal way. You need to read your tenancy document. Your LL may accpet you getting a short term sublet in.

Obviously get somehwre closer so you dont have to have the commute. Its really not very long at all. I think you have to tough it out till you relocate properly.

Another short term option is to rent a room for weekdays, which is extra expense, but it would avoid the commute. If your job is a good one then dont give it up without a fight.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 8, 2016
Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.