The Student Room Group

Flight delayed after passenger becomes suspicious of equation

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

This is hilarious :toofunny:
Reply 2
Original post by Mathemagicien
"An Italian economist says his flight was delayed after a fellow passenger saw him working on a differential equation and alerted the cabin crew.

Guido Menzio was taken off and questioned by agents who did not identify themselves, after the woman next to him said she felt ill. He showed them what he had been writing and the flight eventually took off - more than two hours late.

The University of Pennsylvania associate professor boarded the Philadelphia-Syracuse flight on Thursday on his way to Ontario, where he was due to give a lecture.

Before the flight took off, the woman sitting next to him passed a note to a member of the cabin crew. She initially told them she was feeling unwell but then voiced her suspicions about Mr Menzio's scribblings.

He wrote: "It's a bit funny. It's a bit worrisome. "The lady just looked at me, looked at my writing of mysterious formulae, and concluded I was up to no good. "Because of that an entire flight was delayed."

American Airlines, whose regional partner Air Wisconsin was operating the flight in question, said the crew followed protocol to take care of an ill passenger and then to investigate her allegations. It was established that they were not credible. The woman was re-booked on a later flight."

So mathematicians cant even do maths on airplanes without being treated like terrorists! This is just pure sapiophobia!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36240523

Differential equations can be pretty lethal you know.
Reply 3
Was it an ODE or PDE? Because the latter might scare me off of a plane...
Just goes to show how the entire problem of terrorism has completely been blown out of proportion. (Excuse the pun).
It's not that surprising tbh. I mean after all it's not every day a mathematician is spotted in the wild, so that in itself is deeply suspicious.
Reply 6
As daft as this situation is it shows how serious security take of reports of suspicious behaviour and that despite what people said last time a similar situation happened that it isn't just one race who this effects
Shame, I was expecting a chemistry equation.
These economists need to be banned; they can't be trusted.
(edited 7 years ago)
They should have just kicked the woman off for being too stupid to fly and a risk to herself and others.
"An Italian economist says his flight was delayed after a fellow passenger saw him working on a differential equation and alerted the cabin crew.

Guido Menzio was taken off and questioned by agents who did not identify themselves, after the woman next to him said she felt ill. He showed them what he had been writing and the flight eventually took off - more than two hours late.

The University of Pennsylvania associate professor boarded the Philadelphia-Syracuse flight on Thursday on his way to Ontario, where he was due to give a lecture.

Before the flight took off, the woman sitting next to him passed a note to a member of the cabin crew. She initially told them she was feeling unwell but then voiced her suspicions about Mr Menzio's scribblings.

He wrote: "It's a bit funny. It's a bit worrisome. "The lady just looked at me, looked at my writing of mysterious formulae, and concluded I was up to no good. "Because of that an entire flight was delayed."

American Airlines, whose regional partner Air Wisconsin was operating the flight in question, said the crew followed protocol to take care of an ill passenger and then to investigate her allegations. It was established that they were not credible. The woman was re-booked on a later flight."

So mathematicians cant even do maths on airplanes without being treated like terrorists! This is just pure sapiophobia!

Hahaha, what on earth is this?

I've heard about mathematical anxiety but this is ridiculous.
Original post by DiddyDec
They should have just kicked the woman off for being too stupid to fly and a risk to herself and others.

:rofl: she is something else

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
:toofunny:
How scary was the equation?
Bloody mathematicians, spreading fear with silly symbols and letters! Italian too! Who knows when this will come to the UK???

#VoteLeave
If the women felt ill if he did differentiation... How would the women feel if he did integration? Would that reverse the effect? Like would she be cured of her illness?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DiddyDec

She never reboarded that flight...
Reply 18
Original post by UnknownDude
If the women felt ill if he did differentiation... How would the women feel if he did integration? Would that reverse the effect? Like would she be cured of her illness?

Who knew we had comedians in student room? : ^)
Not unreaosnable at all,anybody who does maths in their free time is scary.:s-smilie:

Quick Reply