Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Postgrad admissions leniency (MPH) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I have a question about postgrad entry, specifically for the Master of Public Health MPH.

Obviously the entry requirement is a 2:1, but I was wondering if there is much leniency with getting a 2:2.

I would like to apply to Edinburgh's MPH, but it's looking like I will graduate with a 2:2 (Biological Sciences from Lancaster Uni), and I was just trying to gauge whether it would actually be worth my time to apply.

Thanks!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Email them and ask but without a good reason for your 2.2 or extenuating circumstances I don't think it looks good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan!)
    Hey, I have a question about postgrad entry, specifically for the Master of Public Health MPH.

Obviously the entry requirement is a 2:1, but I was wondering if there is much leniency with getting a 2:2.

I would like to apply to Edinburgh's MPH, but it's looking like I will graduate with a 2:2 (Biological Sciences from Lancaster Uni), and I was just trying to gauge whether it would actually be worth my time to apply.

Thanks!
    When trying to work out whether there will be any leniency, you need to consider the following:

1. does the University itself have a minimum requirement for graduates? if the main graduate admissions page specifies 1st or 2.1, then your application is less likely to succeed.
    2. on the course pages, look carefully at the wording. If it says something like 'we would normally expect applicants to hold a minimum of 2.1' that's a getout to show that, under exceptional circumstances, people with 2.2s could be admitted/have been admitted in the past. It shows that the university minimum can be waived - but not as a matter of routine, only for some cases.
    3. look for any mention of alternative desirable skills on the course page - that's an indication that they are prepared to accept people with 2.2s if, for example, they have significant professional experience.

To be honest, though, as a new graduate, you're not starting from a position of strength. As alleycat says, you need to ask - email Edinburgh describing your strengths (any professional experience, good grades in any area that matches the MPH well, anything else you can think of ) and see what they say.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 11, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.