Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

looking to make a bit of money but it is Tough Watch

ReputationRep:
    im not sure if this is the right place for this but. here goes nothing

first off, im not in desperate need of money - im 16 and i live with my parents. its just nice to have some money, you know?
    a lot of people my age have part-time jobs and stuff, and i know more people will be looking for employment of sorts after exams are over (year 11, by the way).

i really want to make money, but i have really bad social anxiety and... general functioning issues (i mean, i literally cannot be alone in public). i also have pretty low energy and motivation levels due to depression.

so, things seem pretty bleak for me in relation to making money ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ if any of you have any ideas, please let me know! ☆

(Original post by kirigiri)

first off, im not in desperate need of money - im 16 and i live with my parents. its just nice to have some money, you know?
    a lot of people my age have part-time jobs and stuff, and i know more people will be looking for employment of sorts after exams are over (year 11, by the way).

i really want to make money, but i have really bad social anxiety and... general functioning issues (i mean, i literally cannot be alone in public). i also have pretty low energy and motivation levels due to depression.

so, things seem pretty bleak for me in relation to making money ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ if any of you have any ideas, please let me know! ☆
    It can be difficult with your age but you can try. Have a look around on google maps, see what is available within preferred distance and apply through website. Make sure to adjust your CV and cover letter to each position/business you're applying to.

Note: don't write anything negative in your cv/cover letter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I totally understand how you feel with social anxiety and trying to get a job, and your 1st too So hard However well done to you for taking the first step I would recommend Indeed as a good job website and try look in at your local newsagents and see if there are any ads on the noticeboards Or there is also online tutoring.. do you have a particular subject area you wanna work in? like animal care, childcare, that sort of thing?

Either way, drawing on past experiences are great, like at school, any positions like student rep, volunteering pop them all down! hell you may find as you start writing you find more points of experience come to you

Feel free to drop me a pm if you ever need to chat and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirigiri)

i had issues with social anxiety and depression at around the same age but i found that the simplest route is to find something that is
    in demand, profitable and virtually self-selling
    so you can do everything from home over the internet
    Spoiler:
    Show
    i started ebay buying lots mainly scrap silver and sending them to a refinery in london collecting a profit and then reinvesting and so on, made some money in both platinum and palladium commercial scrap and damaged jewellery before moving onto gold which i found better profitable result on etsy for and then moved to watches and quality stuff like rolex, tiffany and cartier so i do nothing more than advertise, get an email, collect the cash on paypal and ship to the customer and make about a £1-5,000 every month

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by jamesthehustler)
    i had issues with social anxiety and depression at around the same age but i found that the simplest route is to find something that is
    in demand, profitable and virtually self-selling
    so you can do everything from home over the internet
    Spoiler:
    Show
    i started ebay buying lots mainly scrap silver and sending them to a refinery in london collecting a profit and then reinvesting and so on, made some money in both platinum and palladium commercial scrap and damaged jewellery before moving onto gold which i found better profitable result on etsy for and then moved to watches and quality stuff like rolex, tiffany and cartier so i do nothing more than advertise, get an email, collect the cash on paypal and ship to the customer and make about a £1-5,000 every month

Teach me your ways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RezzBerry)
    Teach me your ways.
    get with getting a market figure on prices
    so i'd say
    30p per gram for stirling
    £10 for 9kt gold and .950 palladium
    £20 for 18kt gold and .950 platinum
    and pay less than that (i am to keep to 20% unless it's market ready)

if it does look too good to be true it will be in most cases

on etsy you will find mainly 10kt and 14kt just sick to 9kt price for the 10kt and and go for about £15 MV on 14kt

with valuable items you do need some equipment
    mainly and e-tester for the metals and a gemstone tester for diamonds and the like

as for watches you need to learn the most common mistakes on real and fake examples

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.