The Student Room Group

PGCE 2017 application questions - international teaching

Hi! I've got a few questions about doing a PGCE, the information I've looked at online is slightly confusing so would really appreciate any answers to my questions

I'm currently in my second year teaching kindergarten in south korea. I plan to leave in February 2017, with a view to start a PGCE course in London September 2017.

What date do you need to apply for a PGCE?
Do I have to go through a school or through UCAS? I'm a mature student so its been a while since I've used UCAS.

Do I need to have my two weeks experience at schools in the UK or will my two years of teaching abroad be enough?

What are the skills tests? Do i need to apply for my PGCE first before I can take them?

I want to do a primary PGCE, but I recieved grade DD in Science for my GCSE. Will I need to retake my GCSE or is this grade ok?

I'm getting qualified with a view to teach internationally at British schools. Are there any specific courses that would be best for this?

Basically, i have no idea how to apply!! Thanks for reading.
What date do you need to apply for a PGCE?
Applications for September 2017 will open around October/November 2016 - you can apply from then until May/June. Some subjects fill faster than others so apply early to avoid disappointment, and some deadlines are earlier for certain institutions.

Do I have to go through a school or through UCAS?
UCAS Here - www.ucas.com/ucas/teacher-training you have to pay a fee to submit but it's not much.
Some salaried positions will direct you to the school after you've been accepted.

Do I need to have my two weeks experience at schools in the UK or will my two years of teaching abroad be enough?
This will vary between institutions. Some will allow it, other will consider it to be the 'private sector' and not a real representation of UK schools. There is bound to be a cultural difference so if you can, get some UK experience. Minimum 2 weeks.

What are the skills tests?
Literacy and Numeracy tests that you have to pass before starting your PGCE. They test basic levels of Maths/English. It shows that you can spell/understand grammar etc and do simple maths as you're expected to include numeracy and literacy in every lesson. Here's a link to the practice tests online (There's loads of support groups (facebook, here)/videos and resources for this too) http://sta.education.gov.uk/ - Look through the tabs at the side, the registration code is under the numeracy tab. You need 63% to pass. Your first attempt for both are free, then you have to pay £19. You have 3 attempts, if you fail you're unable to apply for a PGCE for 2 years.

Do i need to apply for my PGCE first before I can take them?
To book your test you need proof that you're enrolling onto a course or have applied. This can be an unconditional letter/email from your course or your submitted choices on UCAS.

Will I need to retake my Science GCSE or is this grade ok?
Not necessarily. You are required to have a C or above in Maths, English and Science at GCSE but you can still be accepted onto a course unconditionally. (Your condition would be that you have to obtain a C in Science before the course starts, like a night class at college). Here's a link which has some more info about entry requirements. https://www.ucas.com/ucas/teacher-training/getting-started/entry-requirements

Are there any specific courses [for teaching internationally] that would be best for this?

PGCE will allow you to teach abroad. QTS-only routes won't. (PGCE is Masters credits, QTS is bare minimum)
If you apply for a bursary and work abroad in your NQT year, you may be asked to repay it as the bursary is to support teachers within Britain.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
QTS-only routes will still allow you to teach abroad (I know that, as I achieved QTS via assessment-only and teach abroad...).

You will still need your 2 weeks' minimum in a UK school (I had taught for 5 years before starting the required procedures to gain QTS and was told that I still needed my 2 weeks in Britain to ratify it).
hi, there,
I hope you are doing well.

Did you apply this year ?

You will have to pass the QTS skills tests . I would recommend you to prioritise the QTS tests first - as these tests are very important and you can not start your pgce without it.
Btw english is not my first language . it is tough indeed.

Quick Reply

Latest