The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

University Accommodation

I have to choose my accommodation but I had assumed that I would only have to make 3 choices, however, I have to make 10 choices for accommodation out of the 17 available.

Please could someone tell me good/bad points about the accommodation at Cardiff University?

So far I have chosen
Talybont Gate,
Talybont South,
Talybont Court,
University Hall.

Out of these, which 6 are the best to go for? (good and bad points please :smile: ) I was looking for self-catered, ensuite options although I'm aware not all of these have them.

Colum Hall
Gordon Hall
Cartwright Court
Roy Jenkins Hall
Aberconway Hall
Student Houses (Colum Road)
Aberdare Hall
Student Houses (village)

I'm also trying to avoid Senghennydd Hall/Court and Talybont North from what I've seen and what I've already heard from people.

Thank you!! :smile:

Also, I'm going to be on the main campus, not Heath Park :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
As a current Cardiff student, I can give you some idea of the accom I've had as well as my friends. Obviously Gate is the nicest accom, followed by Court. These are very oversubscribed though, so be warned you may end up with worse accom if you put them first. Talybont south very much is a loud and party area, which if that is your sort of thing it's great, but if you appreciate sleep perhaps it's not for you. Aberconway has some of the biggest rooms, but is often filled with Welsh speaking students so if you come from elsewhere in the UK I don't know how likely you are to get a room there. Column road is very nice accom, especially if you live on the side next to the nunnery as its quiet, but if you live on the front you will hear the drunks walking back from town. Finally Taly North can get a bad rep, but the refurbished houses (S onwards I believe) are quite nice, and are a good mix of party and study. You will also bond over probably not putting it as your first choice. I live in Taly North T and I really enjoy my accom this year, particularly having an ensuite after messy nights out
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Original post by IEEM
As a current Cardiff student, I can give you some idea of the accom I've had as well as my friends. Obviously Gate is the nicest accom, followed by Court. These are very oversubscribed though, so be warned you may end up with worse accom if you put them first. Talybont south very much is a loud and party area, which if that is your sort of thing it's great, but if you appreciate sleep perhaps it's not for you. Aberconway has some of the biggest rooms, but is often filled with Welsh speaking students so if you come from elsewhere in the UK I don't know how likely you are to get a room there. Column road is very nice accom, especially if you live on the side next to the nunnery as its quiet, but if you live on the front you will hear the drunks walking back from town. Finally Taly North can get a bad rep, but the refurbished houses (S onwards I believe) are quite nice, and are a good mix of party and study. You will also bond over probably not putting it as your first choice. I live in Taly North T and I really enjoy my accom this year, particularly having an ensuite after messy nights out

Thanks for that! :smile: I didn't expect to get Talybont Gate or Court as I'm applying late (at least I think this is late to apply for accommodation?) but I put them at the top of my list anyway. I think I'll put Colum Road on definitely and maybe Talybont North although I'm still not very sure about it at the moment.

Thanks for your help and if there's anything else you could tell me about anything to do with studying at Cardiff I'd love to hear it! :smile:
Why on earth have you put Uni Halls on your choice list?! Almost everyone I've talked to that lives there didn't even put it in their top 10 choice list!

And sure, you can eliminate Court, but Senghennydd Hall is pretty good! Colum Hall is really noisy but the ensuite is good (was my first choice)
Original post by IEEM

Hi 😊

What is the social scene like at Talybont Gate and Court? I'm leaning more towards these two in terms of facilities but I don't want to miss out on things!
Also, is Gate too far away from the social club and the sports centre to feel included in the rest of Taly?
Reply 5
Hi, I'm a current Cardiff student too! I also live in Talynorth and I'd definitely recommend putting it - it's by far the cheapest and actually not that much worse than south - for a few hundred pounds less! I'd say whatever you chose definitely try to be in Taly (and definitely not uni halls!!)
Original post by Sophie772
Hi, I'm a current Cardiff student too! I also live in Talynorth and I'd definitely recommend putting it - it's by far the cheapest and actually not that much worse than south - for a few hundred pounds less! I'd say whatever you chose definitely try to be in Taly (and definitely not uni halls!!)

Thanks! Do you think Taly Gate is a bit excluded from the rest of Taly or are they still a part of the social life there?
Also in Talynorth haha.... Nope, I wouldn't say so - Talygate is almost all gap year students though because it's so popular so they always get the places first! It's much nicer though - and better for predrinks and you get sofas (which you dont get in north or south!). Also gate is much closer to a massive 24 hour Tesco and macdonnalds! But it's a further walk from town and the SU and most of the uni buildings...

To be honest, most of the Taly ones really don't differ that much - it's just price really!
And also, you're so unlikely to get your first choice anyway, I wouldn't worry about it too much - it's pretty random!
I think I'm in my 6th choice or something - most people are in their 4th choice ish so whatever you put, you'll just end up with what's left!!

Also, you'll have an amazing time wherever you are so I really don't think it makes much difference!

If I was choosing again, I'd probably still chose North because it's not that different, and saves a few hundred pounds - which is an extra week's holiday over summer!!
Hi, I've just finished first year in Taly South. If you want to make loads of friends and have the proper uni experience then stay here, its decent standard and its where everything happens, people say its loud but I am on a back room so mine is actually very quiet, but if you're on the front it can be a bit louder. Taly Court is nicer and has a sofa (south only has a kitchen) but have heard its less social, Gate is lovely as its new and is social but I'm not sure its worth the extra money, and North is pretty grim but its ok for 9 months. Avoid uni halls, rooms are basic and its such a long way from uni!!! (You have to get a bus which isnt very often). Haven't been inside Colum hall or aberconway but they are closest to main campus, but only 5 mins down the road from Taly. The rest I don't know about!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending