The Student Room Group

What mark would you give this RE answer?

I'm doing OCR Religious Studies B, by the way. This is one of the past 'e' questions and I have literally no one who understands how to mark RE answers so if anyone could mark it, I'd appreciate it.

'Religious people have a duty to convert others'

Some Christians, such as the Roman Catholic Church, who are exclusivists, would agree with this statement. Exclusivists believe that only Christianity holds the truth and the way to salvation, as Jesus said 'I am the way, the truth and the life, nobody comes to the Father except through me.' Therefore exclusivist Christians will often try to evangelise and convert others. As Christians believe in agape - doing the most loving thing - they may believe that the most loving thing to do is to evangelise others so they can reach heaven.

Some other Christians may be inclusivists and believe that although all religions are of some value, only Christianity holds the full truth. Inclusivist Christians would also try to get people to convert to Christianity.

Pluralist Christians, however, may believe that all religions are of equal value and are pathways to God. Pluralists would believe that all religions can coexist, as Jesus said 'In my Father's house, there are many rooms.' Therefore pluralists wouldn't try to convert others, and would believe it is much more important to live a moral life.

Others, such as atheists, would disagree with the statement and believe that all religions should be able to coexist. They may find missionary or evangelical work to be a form of indoctrination and may oppose it.

Personally, I believe that religious people should not try to convert others, as there is no guarantee whether their own religion is the pathway to God. Each religion believes that it is the only truth but they all have beliefs that are mutually exclusive, therefore it is hard to know which religion is really right. I believe that it is better to simply let different religions coexist, as long as they coexist peacefully and accept each other's existence.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
BUMP

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending