Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Accused of plagiarism? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've just today been sent an e-mail that my last ever piece of university coursework has come back form turnitin with a high similarity index, and to be honest I really don't know why! I've looked through the turnitin report and it's come back with a 58%(!!) similarity index, but looking closer it looks like i've just referenced a source incorrectly? I didn't take parts of papers or journals and just copy and paste them in and if I did paraphrase then I referenced them properly and I'm so worried that this is going to mess up my final semester!!

Has anyone got any advice please?!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Talk to your tutor, clutching the sources?

ReputationRep:
    I've just gone through the turnitin report and my original essay and found 3 small sections that I seem to have forgotten to reference. Do you think I should take this to my tutor and say these are the only sections I've found which weren't referenced?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    As I understand it, Turnitin doesn't understand what you've written at all - if it did, the makers would be extremely rich having solved a very hard computer intelligence problem.

Instead, it looks for similarities in words and phrases used. It is so stupid that, unless told otherwise, it will go 'Oooh, that's similar' when looking at a bibliography for a piece, despite the fact that if students have been asked to write about a number of books, their bibliographic details are quite likely to be very similar in everyone's submitted work.

So it's unable to know if you've referenced the text at all - all it can see is that it's seen 'more than a bit' of the text somewhere else. It may be from an internet source, it may be from others' work.

Before going 'hello tutor, it was my last bit of coursework and I still can't reference consistently', the other thing to do is to ask around as to what scores they got.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Are they intending to take action on 58%? Whats the score without those three sections? If you havent referenced them, then have you included them in your bibliography or just not mentioned at all?

ReputationRep:
    I've never been brought up on plagiarism before throughout the whole three years so I was just so shocked really! I've got a meeting with someone at my student's union tomorrow who will help me go through it. I know it sounds like a poor excuse but at the start of the week I was doing this piece of coursework I found out my long term boyfriend had cheated on me so my mind was on other things which I think led to me writing the three unreferenced sections then just forgetting to reference them at all, which looking back now is so annoying

Hopefully at my meeting tomorrow I'll find out more, from what friends have said of people they know going through the same thing they've had 10% of their mark removed, but I don't know my original mark in the first place!

This is not what I need 3 weeks before the start of my final exams
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    A high score on Turnitin is not proof of plagarism. This is also not the highest level of scores (above 75% is///)

Lesson: when you have personal issues affecting your work, tell your tutor / someone!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Again what % does turnitin give if you remove the 3 sections? It goes down to less that 10%?
    Did you include them in your biblio?
    You need to start preparing your mind that irrespective of the result you focus on your exams.

ReputationRep:
    Some of my colleagues are currently dealing with a Turnitin similarity percentage higher than 58% and there's still a possibility that this isn't deliberate plagiarism. In fact they're hoping it's just poor referencing, as a formal plagiarism hearing causes them a lot of trouble and extra work.

Try to approach this positively. Whilst it's a serious situation, your staff are more than likely looking/hoping for an innocent way to explain it. Get your Student Union rep to go through it and explain to them what you've explained here. I doubt anyone will come away thinking you've plagiarised. I wouldn't make a big deal of your emotional state - it just sounds like an excuse. Better to just take it on the chin and apologise for your mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, Im just wandering what happened after you had your meeting?

ReputationRep:
    Would also love to know what happened here as going through the same thing myself!

ReputationRep:
    Would also love to hear what happened as going through the same thing myself

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.