Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help me choose a PC controller to game with? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I honestly don't know a lot about controllers so thought I'd turn to you lot for some advice.

I'd like something fairly cheap as right now I can't afford to fork out loooadds just for a controller. But I'd like it to not break instantaneously or be rubbish. I play on Steam and Origin and have Windows 10 - not sure if that's relevant but here you go.

Something just a mite under the 'middle of the road' in the world of PC controllers. I'd use it primarily to play Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Thank you in advance!
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Best bet is probably just a standard Xbox One controller. They're reasonably priced, have excellent compatibility with Windows games, and are mostly well-built. You could then splash out a little later on a wireless receiver and battery pack, when funds permit.

ReputationRep:
    I have an XBone controller and a Steam Controller. The latter is utter garbage of the highest order, an exercise in self-indulgence by Valve ( and it's crazily overpriced ). The XBone controller is, frankly, the best controller ever made.

ReputationRep:
    Xbox 360 or xbox one controller tbh. Best support ingame.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Best bet is probably just a standard Xbox One controller. They're reasonably priced, have excellent compatibility with Windows games, and are mostly well-built. You could then splash out a little later on a wireless receiver and battery pack, when funds permit.
    (Original post by matatronic)
    I have an XBone controller and a Steam Controller. The latter is utter garbage of the highest order, an exercise in self-indulgence by Valve ( and it's crazily overpriced ). The XBone controller is, frankly, the best controller ever made.
    (Original post by DanB1991)
    Xbox 360 or xbox one controller tbh. Best support ingame.
    Thank you all for your help! Appears to be a unanimous verdict. :')

ReputationRep:
    Really any old controller. Also if you have a console, such as a PS3, you can use that controller.

ReputationRep:
    Get a wired 360 controller or something.

I have this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rock-Candy-...360+controller

ReputationRep:
    A standard wired xbox 360 controller is the one to go for imo. Easily the best controller ever made.

ReputationRep:
    Xbox 360 controller, it feels better than the xb1 controller imo.
    I prefer the wireless 360 controller (+ receiver) but wired is fine too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheStudent19)
    Get a wired 360 controller or something.

I have this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rock-Candy-...360+controller
    Does that work with Windows 10?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liomeeringca)
    Does that work with Windows 10?
    I've only used it for Skyrim a little with windows 10 but it worked fine so I assume it will work fine with other games too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheStudent19)
    I've only used it for Skyrim a little with windows 10 but it worked fine so I assume it will work fine with other games too
    What a ledge, thanks so much!

ReputationRep:
    I used my PS4 controller controller and use a program called DS4Windows. I keep it connected via a phone charger just because I don't know how to connect it wirelessly and I prefer the guarantee of it always working. I also prefer the feel of the PS4 controller and it's what I already had

ReputationRep:
    Wired 360 controller = cheap, reliable and ergonomic. Works with steam and pretty much most games.

ReputationRep:
    I feel like the PS4 controller is the best but has less support, the Steam controller could be something to consider.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.