Announcements
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Recently this video http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/05/03...ctrinate-kids/ was released by Jehovah's Witnesses, centring on a young girl whose mother encourages her to confront her schoolmate about her same-sex parents and spread the word of Jehovah to her. The video has gained a lot of negative press, and evoked feelings of discomfort and disgust in many viewers.

Those of you who are religious, do you feel a duty to spread the word of your religion to those who don't follow it? Do you confront your peers who make life decisions which strongly go against the teachings of your religion? If you are religious and don't make efforts to convert others, why is this?

ReputationRep:
    Do religious people have a duty/responsibility to convert others?
    Not in my opinion
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Charlotte49)

Those of you who are religious, do you feel a duty to spread the word of your religion to those who don't follow it? Do you confront your peers who make life decisions which strongly go against the teachings of your religion? If you are religious and don't make efforts to convert others, why is this?
    I feel no duty at all to preach or convert. It is not my calling in life or something I wish to do; it is not a requirement of my denomination either. I do not berate people for their life choices coz if it has no impact on me and they are not harming others, it's none of my business.

My primary school's motto is (translated from Latin) "show your faith by the way you live". Non-Roman Catholics will watch how I act and the way I treat people, more than they will listen to any proselytysing that comes out of my mouth. If I wish to draw others to Christ, it is far more important (imho) to act in a Christ-like manner, rather than spout seemingly-meaningless Bible quotes at people who don't give a **** :jebus:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Some Christians believe that it is their duty to convert others to christianity. Some believe in Evangelism and Missionary Work where basically they go and spread the religion to others. They use the bible passage "Go and make disciples of all Nations" Matthew 28:16-20 to lead them though this.
    However this is the belief of some.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    When I was religious, certainly. I felt that I was giving people the chance to gain eternal life on paradise earth (ex JW). Honestly, if I believed in hell fire (JWs don't), I would probably want to spend much of my time saving people from such a terrible fate.

ReputationRep:
    Well yes but we don't go up to people and single them out and tell them to convert.

We do this indirectly through our actions, manners etc. There are some people who give out leaflets or give talks etc. Everyone has their own method.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely not. Although converting one into a religion does seem to be considered a good deed.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you're raised in most large religions, you are taught that you are condemning others to hell if you don't preach at them. That's what I was taught as I was raised religious too.

And when you're young, and really sucked into this nonsense, you really do feel as though you're doing the right thing. After all, if you truly felt you knew the secret to eternal paradise, you wouldn't keep it from people you love and care about, would you? You're also taught that you simply being a good person and following what your religion states isn't good enough if you're not spreading the word, you're still coming up short because it's like you want paradise to yourself. And God wouldn't approve of that kind of 'selfishness'. So while I understand the mentality of the irritating woman you mentioned, it's super irritating to be preached at for any reason and I highly disagree with it.

I used to be far more forgiving when people tried to convert me. Even though I wasn't about to do it, I'd listen and let them feel as though I would so they didn't't feel like they 'failed' but then I realised I was only exacerbating their confrontational nature. I'd rather they keep their faith to themselves. Unless I've asked you about your faith, I really do not want to know.

ReputationRep:
    I don't take it as a duty upon me

ReputationRep:
    It's recommended and shouldn't be forced.

ReputationRep:
    We have a responsibility to encourage traditional values and to let it be known that GOD does exist.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not religious however, why are you forcing something on to people who may not want it?

For example i strongly believe children shouldn't be brought up with religious ideals planted in them.
    Reason being is that it's blind faith.
    It's like force feeding a child who doesn't even know if they like what you're feeding them, but they accept it anyway. I believe it's wrong, the child should be able to choose for themselves.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Spirituality is something that should be discovered, not forced upon you. Like many jews I am opposed to proselytizing, although I welcome willing converts if they choose to.

ReputationRep:
    They have a duty to live a blessed life, by the standards of their particular belief system, and perhaps to 'lead by example' in that respect, but not to preach to fellow CGI schoolgirls about the morality of their gay pixel parents - that crap's getting a bit abstract! :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slade p)
    We have a responsibility to encourage traditional values and to let it be known that GOD does exist.
    But you don't know God exists. Don't state it as a matter of fact. You believe God exists. And tradition changes anyway; its not all some objective and moral thing. God, apparently, committed the first genocide, just saying.

ReputationRep:
    No. Religion is personal. You are entitled to your beliefs and a right to practise but you are not entitled to indoctrinate others or force religion on others. People you would be trying to convert or influence should be old enough to decide for themselves and religion is hardly something people know nothing about. Respect their right to no or a different belief, just as you would expect to be respected for your own belief.

ReputationRep:
    Recently this video http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/05/03...ctrinate-kids/ was released by Jehovah's Witnesses, centring on a young girl whose mother encourages her to confront her schoolmate about her same-sex parents and spread the word of Jehovah to her. The video has gained a lot of negative press, and evoked feelings of discomfort and disgust in many viewers.

Yes you do, but you dont force them to convert only present the facts and truth and let them decide

(I am a Protestant Christian)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Big Moisty)
    I'm not religious however, why are you forcing something on to people who may not want it?

For example i strongly believe children shouldn't be brought up with religious ideals planted in them.
    Reason being is that it's blind faith.
    It's like force feeding a child who doesn't even know if they like what you're feeding them, but they accept it anyway. I believe it's wrong, the child should be able to choose for themselves.
    I agree completely. My parents always encouraged me to make my own choices regarding religion when I was old enough to decide, I feel that the same should be done for all children. Granted, I was sent to a C of E primary school, but it was the best school in the area (good religious schooling vs. poor non-denominational schooling is a whole other debate I won't get into). Since then, I have fallen in and out of religion several times but I feel that there needs to be more emphasis on making an informed decision of a variety of religions - even when I briefly attended a non-denominational school, we were only really taught about Judaism and Christianity.

(Original post by Xelfrost)
    Spirituality is something that should be discovered, not forced upon you. Like many jews I am opposed to proselytizing, although I welcome willing converts if they choose to.
    I feel the same way, I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable preaching to my atheist friends but have, a few times, offered advice/guidance to those who are interested in my faith and want to know more. Besides, the people I spend my time with are mature adults capable of making their own decisions and I feel like trying to convert them belittles their intelligence and autonomy.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 14, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.