Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've heard very good things about Philosophy degrees. However I am also looking at degrees in English, but neither seem to be what I am looking for in terms of the modules studied.
    Just today I stumbled upon English and Philosophy (BA) (HONS) at either Nottingham or Leeds and it looks perfect for me, however I am worried about the worth of the course. Is it worth doing something like this, or is the equivalent of a liberal arts degree (not bashing liberal arts, but I've been told to steer clear of them.)

Has anyone done this course? Is it employable? Can anyone give me insight into how useful this course is and how much an employer would value it?

Thanks.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    English and Philosophy is not an unusual combination, and it certainly is not a 'mickey mouse' degree. Combining two subjects on a 50/50 basis is known as 'joint honours', it is very common and nothing like Liberal Arts degrees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    English and Philosophy is not an unusual combination, and it certainly is not a 'mickey mouse' degree. Combining two subjects on a 50/50 basis is known as 'joint honours', it is very common and nothing like Liberal Arts degrees.
    Thanks for the reply and the advice. I'm going to seriously consider this course as an option now.

ReputationRep:
    Nah it's not Mickey Mouse, not sure about direct career prospects though but what I'm applying for this year doesn't have much direct prospects either- politics and history. Do you know what area you want to pursue as a career? Honestly, I think English has good employability but I don't know much about philosophy, I never researched it.
    Also my mum studied at Leeds, she loved it.

ReputationRep:
    English and Philosophy in general is an excellent combination (the study of literature needs more people with a rigorous analytical approach), and Leeds is a very good university for philosophy.

There are very few courses available in the UK that approximate to the US 'liberal arts' degree, but in any case there is no reason to think of such a degree as undesirable as long as the specific course is a good one and you do well in it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.