Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Some of the universities I am considering require stuff I don't have but by the time I enter university I will have however this would affect my application so I am considering just applying to the ones I know I will have no such problems. However, I just want to check with the Unis that I am a hopeless case as recommended at my local UCAS convention. So I have written the following e-mail, It seems a little depressing and long winded so can some have a read over it and make some comments.

Thanks guys, you're all lifesavers as usual!

AMG - Princess of Avatars
    ________________________________ _____________

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am an A level student considering applying for the Bmus (Hons) course for entry in 2005. However, I am concerned I do not meet the required expectations and my application would be rejected. As there are only six options, I would rather used my options on course I had a chance of acceptance and was wondering if you may be able to inform me of my chance should I applied next term.

My main instrument is the Piano and I recently sat my Grade 7 exam and am awaiting my results. I am planning to do my Grade 8 either in April or July 2005. Also, I plan to sit my grade 8 examination through the London College of Music as my other graded exams have been through this board. As well as playing the Piano, I play the violin and hope to sit my Grade 5 exam (ABRSM) within the next year. Also, last January, I started lessons on the Clarinet and recently passed my Grade 3 exam (ABRSM) with a high pass and am being entering for Grade 4 early next year.

This year I have sat four AS Levels and plan to carry three on to the full A level. I am expecting an A/B in AS Music this summer as well as 2Bs and a C in my others. Also, I am self-teaching myself theory at present as I am between teachers but hope to obtain my Grade 5 this year.

I understand there is a high chance of rejection as your university has a high number of high standard applications but would be very grateful for a honest opinion about my chances of acceptance.

Yours Sincerely,

(my real name here)

ReputationRep:
    The last bit where you say "it's impossible to get in but I'll apply anyway" sounds negative and I would advise against it.

Leave that bit out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_gal)
    Some of the universities I am considering require stuff I don't have but by the time I enter university I will have however this would affect my application so I am considering just applying to the ones I know I will have no such problems. However, I just want to check with the Unis that I am a hopeless case as recommended at my local UCAS convention. So I have written the following e-mail, It seems a little depressing and long winded so can some have a read over it and make some comments.

Thanks guys, you're all lifesavers as usual!

________________________________ _____________

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am an A level student considering applying for the Bmus (Hons) course for entry in 2005. However, I am concerned I do not meet the required expectations and my application would be rejected. As there are only six options, I would rather used my options on course I had a chance of acceptance and was wondering if you may be able to inform me of my chance should I applied next term.

My main instrument is the Piano and I recently sat my Grade 7 exam and am awaiting my results. I am planning to do my Grade 8 either in April or July 2005. Also, I plan to sit my grade 8 examination through the London College of Music as my other graded exams have been through this board. As well as playing the Piano, I play the violin and hope to sit my Grade 5 exam (ABRSM) within the next year. Also, last January, I started lessons on the Clarinet and recently passed my Grade 3 exam (ABRSM) with a high pass and am being entering for Grade 4 early next year.

This year I have sat four AS Levels and plan to carry three on to the full A level. I am expecting an A/B in AS Music this summer as well as 2Bs and a C in my others. Also, I am self-teaching myself theory at present as I am between teachers but hope to obtain my Grade 5 this year.

I understand there is a high chance of rejection as your university has a high number of high standard applications but would be very grateful for a honest opinion about my chances of acceptance.

Yours Sincerely,

(my real name here)

personally, i wouldn't mention the word "rejection" - it sounds negative from the start, you need to put them into a postive frame of mind!

i don't think you need to mention that you have "only 6 choice" either. admissions tutors get letters/emails every day about requirements. i would email them simply stating your grades etc (ie 2nd paragraph) and ask if this would be valid. they may ask you for an audition then instead/as well. or ring up and ask! also, i would change the last paragraph, away from rejection again, and say something like "coiuld you advise me as to whether these are appropriate qualifications for the course, or if you would suggest anything else?" or something.
    slightly off the point, have you looked at any BAs in music? only they make you slightly more employable at the end of it, unless you want to go into a career solely in music. MY sister has a BMus and has found it doesn't hold as much weight on a CV. where are you thinking of applying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allisandro)
    slightly off the point, have you looked at any BAs in music? only they make you slightly more employable at the end of it, unless you want to go into a career solely in music. MY sister has a BMus and has found it doesn't hold as much weight on a CV. where are you thinking of applying?

Yes, my career is going the solely in music but I am applying to a few BAs in Music as well as BMus.

ReputationRep:

Yes, my career is going the solely in music but I am applying to a few BAs in Music as well as BMus.
    cool, what are you thinking of going into? my sister is doing her Phd now, she's focussing on classical indian music, don't think she had that in mind when she started!

ReputationRep:
    ok is this better?

ps I hope to either write music for television or be a music teacher.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am an A level student considering applying for the Bmus (Hons) course for entry in 2005. To help make my decision I was wondering if my qualifications would be acceptable should I decide to apply and if not, if you any suggestions to make my application stronger.

I would be very grateful for your opinion about my qualifications and details on any open days you have.

Yours Sincerely,
    (my real name here)

ReputationRep:
    ok is this better?

ps I hope to either write music for television or be a music teacher.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am an A level student considering applying for the Bmus (Hons) course for entry in 2005. To help make my decision I was wondering if my qualifications would be acceptable should I decide to apply and if not, if you any suggestions to make my application stronger.

I would be very grateful for your opinion about my qualifications and details on any open days you have.

Yours Sincerely,
    (my real name here)
    yup, that looks great! and writing music for tv sounds cool!

ReputationRep:
    It sounds silly saying "my" Grade 7 or whatever -especially as you do it every time!

ReputationRep:
    well when i was applying to universities there was a couple of exams that i was planning to take in that upcoming year. You include them on the ucas form in the bit where is says exams not completed yet where you will also put you alevels, and you put the d8 there, so the unis will no that you are planning to take xams and will be at the standard by the time you reach uni. i met sum1 on a music open day who hadnt yet reached the required standard but when offered a place stated the grades needed aswell as a merit grade 8.

i hope thats some help. Where are you thinking of applying?

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.