Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if trans students have to state the gender on their birth certificate, or if they are free to enter whichever gender they identify as? I know that UCAS allow you to choose, but I wasn't sure if student finance follow the same system or not. Will it cause problems with the application if the gender on the student finance is different to that on UCAS?

ReputationRep:
    State what you were born as lol

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest contacting the relevant student loans department, and explain your situation, they'll probably ask you to use your legal gender, but may allow you to use your preferred gender in certain circumstances.

(Original post by Ladbants)
    State what you were born as lol
    How about no?

Gender identity is no laughing matter, and for a transgender student, it is of significant importance that they are able to express their true gender.

Don't be a [generic insult]

ReputationRep:
    Just state the gender on your passport or whichever one you are legally registered as.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by __0__)
    I'd suggest contacting the relevant student loans department, and explain your situation, they'll probably ask you to use your legal gender, but may allow you to use your preferred gender in certain circumstances.

How about no?

Gender identity is no laughing matter, and for a transgender student, it is of significant importance that they are able to express their true gender.

Don't be a ****
    :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by __0__)

How about no?

Don't be a ****
    Can you not use that type of offensive language please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by __0__)

How about no?

Don't be a ****
    How does it even matter? It's just student finance, its not like he/she/it is telling her/his/its friends what gender he/she/it is...

ReputationRep:
    Just put your preferred gender. If they query it then explain it I guess. I know someone that did that and it was fine, but they had changed their passport to reflect their gender identity.

Good Luck regardless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladbants)
    Can you not use that type of offensive language please?
    There, edited it, just for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by __0__)
    There, edited it, just for you
    Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_JoKeR)
    How does it even matter? It's just student finance, its not like he/she/it is telling her/his/its friends what gender he/she/it is...
    "It"??

People are such a**holes sometimes...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Because it makes a hell of a difference to your confidence, and can be incredibly distressing to have to opress yourself. I personally hate filling in forms as anything other than my actual sexuality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Stefan*)
    "It"??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Some people do actually identify as they/them/it, I know someone who does!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by __0__)
    Some people do actually identify as they/them/it, I know someone who does!
    Clearly not the OP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coppercandies)
    Does anyone know if trans students have to state the gender on their birth certificate, or if they are free to enter whichever gender they identify as? I know that UCAS allow you to choose, but I wasn't sure if student finance follow the same system or not. Will it cause problems with the application if the gender on the student finance is different to that on UCAS?
    I'm pretty sure UCAS will let you use your gender and not the gender you were assigned at birth. Also, if you're non-binary, UCAS let you use Mx as a title.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coppercandies)
    You will have to put your official gender on the form for Student Finance because its a legally binding contract for a loan. It wont be a problem that your UCAS form says otherwise, but if they have problems they will just ask you or your uni, I wouldnt worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    "It"??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not everyone refers to themselves as a gender m8, if you're gonna allow transgenders then allow people who don't identify as any.

ReputationRep:
    Not everyone refers to themselves as a gender m8, if you're gonna allow transgenders then allow people who don't identify as any.
    Only "they" can be used in this scenario, even where a singular form is required. "It" is rather inflammatory.

ReputationRep:
    Only "they" can be used in this scenario, even where a singular form is required. "It" is rather inflammatory.
    I'd rather not use "they" because it does makes her/him/it sound plural

ReputationRep:
    it may be a bit late for me to say this now but it may help others in the future. i'm transgender and although my birth certificate still says male I was able to use female on my documents by using a deed poll which can be created for free online.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.