The Student Room Group

CIE A levels

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by hilrho
By you feeling better I just just know you're not alone in this and someone else mucked up the paper too :smile: - Not that I was claiming you'd feel better to know I mucked up, just that you're not alone if you get what I mean? :h: I am SO stressed. What if we all just did bad but people form other countries did great so the thresholds will be high or 'normal'?! :eek: How many pages did you write mate? I'm thinking if I should not sit for Paper 4, appear absent, do essay practice throughout summer or something and apply with predicted grades and then sit the exams in October? Do you think I should do that or go ahead sit the paper? Because I'd like to apply to Oxford and the require As and I'm just scared and getting anxiety that I'll end up with a C or something in the total paper which isn't gunna look good and then I'd have to resit which is worse than applying with predicted grades isn't it?
What will you do?

Dont worry. The extract was too unclear for the rest of the world to have found easy.
But whatever it is you have to sit for the last paper! DOnt skip it. hat if you actually do well for the other papers? You'll regret not doing 4 then. I dont knwo if predicted grades are better than this but if you got a C and you're resiting then obviously you will be doing better. So i dont think it will be a problem.
I wrote around 4 pages.
Reply 61
Original post by Coolmeechy
Dont worry. The extract was too unclear for the rest of the world to have found easy.
But whatever it is you have to sit for the last paper! DOnt skip it. hat if you actually do well for the other papers? You'll regret not doing 4 then. I dont knwo if predicted grades are better than this but if you got a C and you're resiting then obviously you will be doing better. So i dont think it will be a problem.
I wrote around 4 pages.

What did you writhe big message in the extract was? Did you identify any historians or anyone who thinks this way? I wrote the Big Message was Jewish leaders were responsible for the destruction of their own people and quoted the first line of the second paragraph. As for historian this is where I made a mistake - S scholar called Arendt believed that Jewish leaders were responsible but she's not a historian, and I mistakenly wrote she's a historian and that the extract agrees with her views etc.

I feel like I haven't done well enough in Paper 1 and Paper 2 as I didn't answer 1 of the 20 mark question, so I don't think I can get a decent grade even if I sat paper 4 and got full marks in it. So I feel like I haven't done enough in the first 2 papers to get an A which is what I need.

I don't understand the bold bit - are you saying if I feel I'll get a C it's better to give them a predicted grade and sit the paper in October? :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
@hilrho

I could be wrong but Oxbridge isn't a fan of resits? I also think it's morally wrong to withheld info from the uni on the number of resits or marks attained in subjects that one has sat for. It appears there is not that high of a chance of a uni finding out about past resits or marks attained from before, unless the candidate provides the info on the UCAS application.

Holocaust paper was actually easy. @Coolmeechy did us all a favour earlier when a post was done up which mentioned the strategy one needs to adopt in order to ace Paper 3. During the actual exam itself I felt like an absolute fool. I only wish CIE was more forthcoming on their analysis contained in their examiners report. Its far too casual for my liking and the bare information doesn't help future candidates or retakers, sitting for the same paper.

I just want to thank @Coolmeechy who's from India for being extremely helpful. @hilrho too has contributed significnantly. I guess all we need to do now is focus on Paper 4. Which options are you doing and why? Any cool resources to share?

On a somewhat related note (depending on your perception), I saw another thread where A-level students were bashing BTEC students and vice versa on the difficulty of their subjects, the academic rigour of their syllabus etc. The Access students must be the ones laughing to themselves when they see such episodes of immaturity because the Access students are the very same students who end up getting into Oxbridge and the other top UK unis because they keep their heads down and go about studying day in, day out. If only people on that thread were as helpful as the people from this here :h:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 63
Original post by hilrho
What did you writhe big message in the extract was? Did you identify any historians or anyone who thinks this way? I wrote the Big Message was Jewish leaders were responsible for the destruction of their own people and quoted the first line of the second paragraph. As for historian this is where I made a mistake - S scholar called Arendt believed that Jewish leaders were responsible but she's not a historian, and I mistakenly wrote she's a historian and that the extract agrees with her views etc.

I feel like I haven't done well enough in Paper 1 and Paper 2 as I didn't answer 1 of the 20 mark question, so I don't think I can get a decent grade even if I sat paper 4 and got full marks in it. So I feel like I haven't done enough in the first 2 papers to get an A which is what I need.

I don't understand the bold bit - are you saying if I feel I'll get a C it's better to give them a predicted grade and sit the paper in October? :smile:

I just said it was a structuralist perspective and gave examples of structuralists. And it's not a big deal if u called a scholar historian, or even misquoted her as long as that's not what you based your whole essay on.
My opinion is that you dont skip this paper even if you are sure you will have to resit. Atleast you will get the experience once which may help you when u rewrite. And you already attempted the othr papers, right? So it would still be a 'resit'.
Actually you should look for threads in TSR or start one to find out if Oxford would prefer predicted grades and reject resit marks.
Reply 64
Original post by Audrey18
@hilrho
Holocaust paper was actually easy. @Coolmeechy did us all a favour earlier when a post was done up which mentioned the strategy one needs to adopt in order to ace Paper 3. During the actual exam itself I felt like an absolute fool. I only wish CIE was more forthcoming on their analysis contained in their examiners report. Its far too casual for my liking and the bare information doesn't help future candidates or retakers, sitting for the same paper.
I just want to thank @Coolmeechy who's from India for being extremely helpful. @hilrho too has contributed significnantly. I guess all we need to do now is focus on Paper 4. Which options are you doing and why? Any cool resources to share?
On a somewhat related note (depending on your perception), I saw another thread where A-level students were bashing BTEC students and vice versa on the difficulty of their subjects, the academic rigour of their syllabus etc. The Access students must be the ones laughing to themselves when they see such episodes of immaturity because the Access students are the very same students who end up getting into Oxbridge and the other top UK unis because they keep their heads down and go about studying day in, day out. If only people on that thread were as helpful as the people from this here :h:

You're welcome @Audrey18 :smile: I am just happy to share and discuss. it feels good to know I am not the only one writing these exams lol.
I agree with you on the lack of info and help from Cambridge for that paper. This time also they gave an extract that ws difficult for us to quote and interpret. i hope they realise we are not history graduates and mark us accordingly.
I dont knw much about the BTEC students or even Access (other than that this one kid in my class gets extra time by 'Access management'?) so I am lost abt what u just said..sorry
@Coolmeechy

It's fine. So tell me, what are your plans for Paper 4? Any tips and suggestions? Do you have any marked assignments like the one you had for Holocaust?
Reply 66
Original post by Audrey18
@Coolmeechy
It's fine. So tell me, what are your plans for Paper 4? Any tips and suggestions? Do you have any marked assignments like the one you had for Holocaust?

Oh well paper 4, my plan is to just pray to God. Cos i dont knw anything!! I do Hitler and Mussolini under Europe of the Dictators. Got a text book on each of these people. They are useful books but I was absent for most of the classes on thsi topic so I am clueless. But if you are doing the same topics and u dont have books, i can take pics of some important sectiosn and send you.
Hey all,

Sorry if it's off topic, but is anyone taking CIE A-level English literature?
Reply 68
Original post by dorababy1995
Hey all,

Sorry if it's off topic, but is anyone taking CIE A-level English literature?

Hey there. Sorry, I am not taking it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending