Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am a first year student nurse and have just failed my second assignment. I am really considering leaving. I know to many this would be trivial-after all you get another chance . But do I really want to re-submit 2 assignments and go through the stress again just to get 40%? . The problem is I struggle with stress and this course is a constant stress! I've already had a week off placement due to depression (so something else I need to re-do). So is it really worth all the stress and feeling ****?? I'm supposed to book a personal tutor meeting but she's not available until the 17th and I'm on placement next week need (which is pointless if i'm going to quit). Any advice?
    ps- I don't think staying will do me any good- but how can I leave without seeing my tutor?
    pps I'm 42 so not a spring chicken!

ReputationRep:
    I don't mean to sound harsh....but why give up on the first hurdle? Surely you knew how stressful it was going to be? So what if you missed some placement....they set aside weeks to make that up so I wouldn't worry about that. As for the assignment...so what if your only going to get 40%....you are still going to pass. I feel like you are over looking the whole reason your doing the course. I know personally if I failed id do everything in my power to make sure I passed second time. But you know what if you've really thought about it and you know it's not for you then maybe look at doing something else because it will just get harder and harder. But remember your skills and confidence do grow. Good luck with whatever you decide to do

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wbnurse)
    I don't mean to sound harsh....but why give up on the first hurdle? Surely you knew how stressful it was going to be? So what if you missed some placement....they set aside weeks to make that up so I wouldn't worry about that. As for the assignment...so what if your only going to get 40%....you are still going to pass. I feel like you are over looking the whole reason your doing the course. I know personally if I failed id do everything in my power to make sure I passed second time. But you know what if you've really thought about it and you know it's not for you then maybe look at doing something else because it will just get harder and harder. But remember your skills and confidence do grow. Good luck with whatever you decide to do

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I knew it would be stressful but I actually thought I would do better. Youre right- it will get harder-and its not going to do me any good. I'm 99% decided on leaving-I will just carry on with my csw bank shifts and maybe go for a band 3 or 4 job. I,ll be doing the job I like without the stress! Maybe I should not have even started the course but I just felt I had to try it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldernewbie)
    I knew it would be stressful but I actually thought I would do better. Youre right- it will get harder-and its not going to do me any good. I'm 99% decided on leaving-I will just carry on with my csw bank shifts and maybe go for a band 3 or 4 job. I,ll be doing the job I like without the stress! Maybe I should not have even started the course but I just felt I had to try it.
    You've tried it....at least you won't have that nagging "I should of" at the back of your mind. Try and get on band 4 AP that will be a lot easier for you. Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    thank you

ReputationRep:
    Occy health ?

Primary care ?

leave of absence on health grounds ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    Occy health ?

Primary care ?

leave of absence on health grounds ?
    I don't want to have leave of absence because my gut feeling is that problems with stress are going to keep coming back. In hindsight and going on past experience I think a degree was out of my depth but I am satisfied that I have given myself the chance to try. I've yet to see my tutor but I know there are non-degree awards I could transfer to or I can finish with a certificate of HE (providing I re-submit the failed bits). At the very least I will have credits for the passed modules.

ReputationRep:
    Just leave honestly, I hung onto nursing for for those three years. I qualified and it really took it out of me, 1 year into the job I quit. I can't be arsed with the stress and hassle of nursing.

Firstly they hit you with a stick, you better do A+B then they don't provide the resources for A+B and if anything goes wrong they blame you. It's a ridiculous, *****y atmosphere with everybody working off emotion often without clear perspective. You think your depression is bad now... Just wait until your a nurse.... I was going to quit in the first year and was talked around, save yourself the time. We have a conservative government they are stripping services so you'll be ever more miserable.

ReputationRep:
    Don't blame yourself for a degree being out of depth medical degrees are not like other degrees just speak to anybody whom has completed nursing after their first degree. It's the environment of nursing not you!!! All my nursing friends are depressed on anti-depressants hell half the nurses I worked with were that's it. It's the way it is, the depression comes with the job and often those who aren't are either in denial or have skewed cognition.

ReputationRep:
    Speed1987.....I'm sorry but you are so very wrong. How dare you talk on behalf of other nurses. I can't imagine how people feel reading that that are about to start their career. I've worked on wards many years. I've nurses very very stressed but they STILL love their jobs! Nursing gives you a massive scope it's not just all ward work and anyone who thinks that is ignorant! If people don't like busy hectic wards....don't work on one simple as that. Don't talk
    About nursing as a whole like its a croc of sh!t when it isn't. I'm a student nurse and I'm loving it. It's just not for everyone. If you are not so passionate it beams out of you then it's not for you. But don't tell everyone it's crap because no it's not. The wards and the NHS are not the end. Being nurse is a CAREER that will last a lifetime if you follow your own happiness

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    thanks for all the replies!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.