Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I started working last week at my first job. The work is fine, I'm just on the tills at the moment. I can deal with difficult customers and the managers have said I've done really well.

I've had a number of problems since working there, though. The manager had to clock me in as I wasn't on the system. I worked three shifts last week but I was only clocked in for one. When I asked someone about it, they said there wasn't anything I could do about it, but they'd try and fix it for me. They've also given me Wednesday to Sunday next week, all 11am-7pm shifts. I have university exams the week after, and that's way too many hours. I'm always too tired after work and the 45-minute break is nowhere near enough to do revision.

I'm seriously considering quitting. Do I just stop turning up? Should I ring them to let them know I won't be coming in anymore? Has anyone else had similar problems? Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarahhLouisee)
    I started working last week at my first job. The work is fine, I'm just on the tills at the moment. I can deal with difficult customers and the managers have said I've done really well.

I've had a number of problems since working there, though. The manager had to clock me in as I wasn't on the system. I worked three shifts last week but I was only clocked in for one. When I asked someone about it, they said there wasn't anything I could do about it, but they'd try and fix it for me. They've also given me Wednesday to Sunday next week, all 11am-7pm shifts. I have university exams the week after, and that's way too many hours. I'm always too tired after work and the 45-minute break is nowhere near enough to do revision.

I'm seriously considering quitting. Do I just stop turning up? Should I ring them to let them know I won't be coming in anymore? Has anyone else had similar problems? Thank you!
    I wouldnt quit yet, id give it chance.
    Speak to them again about the clocking in thing, they can sort it out. Speak to the business manager if need be.
    If you where to quit- never just stop turning up. Tell them you will be leaving and give them a weeks notice or something.

ReputationRep:

You don't have to give them any notice since you are still on probation. You can quit any time. Just call them / go in and say you won't be coming in anymore. Dont worry, they are used to people on probation deciding not to come in anymore. Lots of people do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolakirk)
    You don't have to give them any notice since you are still on probation. You can quit any time. Just call them / go in and say you won't be coming in anymore. Dont worry, they are used to people on probation deciding not to come in anymore. Lots of people do it.
    That's kind of put me at ease, thank you. I'm going to see if someone will swap my weekend shifts with me next weekend. I've been given 40 hours next week, even though I told them that I still have university exams until 3rd June and they told me to make sure I put my university exams first. Even working from the Wednesday - Friday is bad enough, but it's better than the 40 hours...

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't really have applied for a job so close to exams... I work (worked) at Pizza Hut and now its my exam period for Scottish Advanced Higher exams and I spoke to the manager and he let me take these months off work. I doubt since you're still a new start they would let you do this but still speak to them and see what can get sorted out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zain-A)
    You shouldn't really have applied for a job so close to exams... I work (worked) at Pizza Hut and now its my exam period for Scottish Advanced Higher exams and I spoke to the manager and he let me take these months off work. I doubt since you're still a new start they would let you do this but still speak to them and see what can get sorted out.
    I know, I'm kind of regretting my decision! I'll see what I can do. Will you go back to work afterwards then?

ReputationRep:
    I know, I'm kind of regretting my decision! I'll see what I can do. Will you go back to work afterwards then?
    I want to for the summer to earn a bit of cash but I would only work there a month then leave for 5 weeks to go abroad then come back for one more month before I move away so I don't see the point haha

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.