The Student Room Group

Revision cards or spider diagrams?

My history exam is relatively soon and I'm trying to decide whether I should make revision cards or spider diagrams to learn the information. Which one do you think would be better to use as revision for history? Also, if anyone knows the best way to revise for other subjects then please comment.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ffionhafevans1
My history exam is relatively soon and I'm trying to decide whether I should make revision cards or spider diagrams to learn the information. Which one do you think would be better to use as revision for history? Also, if anyone knows the best way to revise for other subjects then please comment.

Personally, for history I use mind maps because I feel that I need more infomation than what I can get onto a flashcard. Also, on a mind maps for example for the Plains Indians you could have infomation on family life, religion, traditions and culture, buffalo and horses. Whereas on a flashcard you may only put one of those.
(Not sure what type of history you do but this applies for any history, hope this helped!)
Original post by Wordnerd2
Personally, for history I use mind maps because I feel that I need more infomation than what I can get onto a flashcard. Also, on a mind maps for example for the Plains Indians you could have infomation on family life, religion, traditions and culture, buffalo and horses. Whereas on a flashcard you may only put one of those.
(Not sure what type of history you do but this applies for any history, hope this helped!)
Okay, thank you!
Okay, thank you!

You are very welcome, and what history do you do?
Maybe use cards to learn dates and mindmaps to do bigger topics as they let you see all the links between things.
Reply 5
A spider diagram on a revision card.
Original post by PillsIV

We need more people like you :h:
Original post by Wordnerd2
You are very welcome, and what history do you do?

I'm doing Germany 1919-1947, Russia in Transition 2905-1924 and USA 1929-2000.
Reply 8
Flashcards would be great for summarizing key chapters, and are a really good way of condensing your knowledge down so you're learning the important parts (they helped me a lot through GCSE, and they're also easier to read over whenever you have the time)

Mind maps are better if you want to make links between topics, but I think flashcards would be a better way to revise because it's easy to lose track of where you are with mind maps, especially with a topic like history
Original post by PillsIV

Great idea
Flash cards are the best way to learn - being able to recall information/test yourself is much more effective revision than just reading over a mind map.
Original post by niv1234
Maybe use cards to learn dates and mindmaps to do bigger topics as they let you see all the links between things.

Yeah that would help, thank you!
Original post by mollyxrose
Flash cards are the best way to learn - being able to recall information/test yourself is much more effective revision than just reading over a mind map.

Okay, thank you
Great idea

a revision card on a spider diagram.
Original post by number23
a revision card on a spider diagram.

Even better
Reply 15
What I have been doing is going through each year and making a revision card for it. Mind maps never work for me so I have to use revision cards.
I'm on AQA History:
for the 20th Century depth studies (Tsarist Russia, Stalinist Russia, Vietnam War, for me) I use mindmaps because there aren't that many events
for the unit 1 exam (origins of Cold War, crises of Cold War and Detente, Collapse of Communism and post Cold War world) I tried to make mindmaps but found that there is way too much content. So instead, I am creating flashcards for the small things (Iron curtain etc) and big posters for larger events (eg. Cuban Missile Crisis)

Different things work for different people though :h:
Spider diagrams/revision cards all the way. I've got through my GCSEs/A-levels and 2 degrees using primarily mind maps as revision - I've never bothered with flashcards/revision cards except to write out miniature mind maps (seriously) because I prefer to have everything condensed to one page per subject. The mind maps get smaller the more I revise since by the time I really understand the subject I may only need one word to prompt me on a whole theory/study etc. During my last degree I condensed my mind maps more and more in the weeks leading up to my exam so that by the time I was on the train going to uni I had my mind maps on flash cards with simply prompts which equated to masses of revision/books.

I do the same thing now - I can close my eyes an literally see the mind maps for each subject so it's the best way of revision for me. It's different for everyone I guess. Another really good way of revising - I find - is to get a white board (most craft shops have them) and test yourself by writing what you remember on it. It might sound corny, but I put my whiteboard on the wall and pretended as though I was teaching people and basically did a 'lesson' per exam subject - amazing way of learning, it really sticks. Good luck with your GCSEs by the way!
Original post by KatieBlogger
Spider diagrams/revision cards all the way. I've got through my GCSEs/A-levels and 2 degrees using primarily mind maps as revision - I've never bothered with flashcards/revision cards except to write out miniature mind maps (seriously) because I prefer to have everything condensed to one page per subject. The mind maps get smaller the more I revise since by the time I really understand the subject I may only need one word to prompt me on a whole theory/study etc. During my last degree I condensed my mind maps more and more in the weeks leading up to my exam so that by the time I was on the train going to uni I had my mind maps on flash cards with simply prompts which equated to masses of revision/books.

I do the same thing now - I can close my eyes an literally see the mind maps for each subject so it's the best way of revision for me. It's different for everyone I guess. Another really good way of revising - I find - is to get a white board (most craft shops have them) and test yourself by writing what you remember on it. It might sound corny, but I put my whiteboard on the wall and pretended as though I was teaching people and basically did a 'lesson' per exam subject - amazing way of learning, it really sticks. Good luck with your GCSEs by the way!

Okay I'll try that out. Thank you!
Original post by surina16
I'm on AQA History:
for the 20th Century depth studies (Tsarist Russia, Stalinist Russia, Vietnam War, for me) I use mindmaps because there aren't that many events
for the unit 1 exam (origins of Cold War, crises of Cold War and Detente, Collapse of Communism and post Cold War world) I tried to make mindmaps but found that there is way too much content. So instead, I am creating flashcards for the small things (Iron curtain etc) and big posters for larger events (eg. Cuban Missile Crisis)

Different things work for different people though :h:

Okay, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest