New HQ animation argues for Brexit

Watch
plstudent
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago

Overall a good animation. I think he should have stressed more the importance of the free movement of peoples. It's impossible to get control over immigration while in the EU. Cameron not only betrays his election promises on mass migration but also works against them by advocating remain.

https://youtu.be/uYTJGBBjkGo?t=1h23m48s
gladders
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The video is entirely misleading. It seems not to grasp the difference between a free trade zone and the Single Market. It also ignores the benefits of negotiating trade deals as a group, to punch above your weight, rather than trying to make a deal isolated.

And we can negotiate our own deals - Osborne did one with China last year - we just have to respect the ones we are party to as an EU Member. That's ordinary, good politics.

Unelected EU Commissioners? Just like unelected Lords or 'unelected' Cabinet Members. We are as democratic now as we would be outside the EU.

Our trade with the EU may have fallen but 45% is still massive, and there's nothing to indicate it's a terminal, one-way decline.

And nobody's saying the UK can't trade. The question is whether we could get better deals than we currently do.

Oh here we go, the bloody 'fearmongering' excuse again. The video makes no attempt to refute the £3000 claim, but simply dismisses it as 'idiotic'. As for scaremongering, what about its pathetic claims about further integration, which we have already secured an opt-out to, and we can veto and block anyway! That's scaremongering!

Typical eurosceptic drivel, 3/10. Nice graphics, and starts out being reasonable but rapidly descended into tin foil hat territory.
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by gladders)
The video is entirely misleading. It seems not to grasp the difference between a free trade zone and the Single Market. It also ignores the benefits of negotiating trade deals as a group, to punch above your weight, rather than trying to make a deal isolated.

And we can negotiate our own deals - Osborne did one with China last year - we just have to respect the ones we are party to as an EU Member. That's ordinary, good politics.

Unelected EU Commissioners? Just like unelected Lords or 'unelected' Cabinet Members. We are as democratic now as we would be outside the EU.

Our trade with the EU may have fallen but 45% is still massive, and there's nothing to indicate it's a terminal, one-way decline.

And nobody's saying the UK can't trade. The question is whether we could get better deals than we currently do.

Oh here we go, the bloody 'fearmongering' excuse again. The video makes no attempt to refute the £3000 claim, but simply dismisses it as 'idiotic'. As for scaremongering, what about its pathetic claims about further integration, which we have already secured an opt-out to, and we can veto and block anyway! That's scaremongering!

Typical eurosceptic drivel, 3/10. Nice graphics, and starts out being reasonable but rapidly descended into tin foil hat territory.
PRSOM

A friend on FB posted up this video and I made the above points, in addition:

Nato, its universities and its allies all want Britain to stay in the EU (You can say they're acting self interestedly but then they're not good for Britain- yet more having it both ways!)

Ah project fear- like making out Turkeys going to join- or fresh after the Brussel Bomb attacks saying that we'd be safer outside the EU?

I didn't know we had an elected judiciary? I'd love to see what EU laws are ruining so many peoples lives...(Maybe a proposed bankers bonus tax?)

Cameron was granted an opt out so we will not necessarily join schengen, adopt the euro etc (Brexiters say that this could be reversed, but then by that logic voting leave is stupid because we could potentially rejoin the EU!)
Jammy Duel
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by gladders)

You say there is no indication that it is a terminal decline, apart from the fact that it's a trend that has existed at least for the best part of two decades, the fact that the Eurozone economy has stagnated while the rest of the world booms, at least relatively, and the industrialisation of the rest of the world. It's not like the world outside the EU is growing and offering what we want for cheaper than the EU, and are willing to buy our stuff because they have the money to do so or anything.

I would also call a trade deal that takes a couple of years to negotiate instead of 10 and quite possibly collapsing after that a better deal. The EU is fundamentally dreadful for creating trade agreements due to the simple fact that there are at least 29 nations that need to be satisfied by it and many in very very different positions. There is a reason why it takes so long for the EU to do these deals, when they succeed at all.

Trade deals and free trade agreements aren't the same, funnily enough all I can find record of is trade deals, which are done daily all over the world, no sign of any FTA and not surprising when we cannot make them.

To compare the commission lords and cabinet is laughable. Where does all EU legislation come from? Can you get rid of them? No.
Can you get rid of a cabinet minister? We hold elections every 5 years, if enough people don't like the government they're gone. Nobody in the EU could like the commissioners but there is still no way to get rid of them. And do all the UK laws come from the lords? No, also very few if any members of the Lords are failures in standing for public office.

Posted from TSR Mobile
gladders
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
To compare the commission lords and cabinet is laughable. Where does all EU legislation come from? Can you get rid of them? No.
Can you get rid of a cabinet minister? We hold elections every 5 years, if enough people don't like the government they're gone. Nobody in the EU could like the commissioners but there is still no way to get rid of them. And do all the UK laws come from the lords? No, also very few if any members of the Lords are failures in standing for public office.

Posted from TSR Mobile
At the last European Parliament elections it was made clear that the choice of President of the Commission would be based on the largest party in the Parliament. Additionally, the College of Commissioners must be approved by the Parliament.

Sounds very similar to the House of Commons, to me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (25)
13.23%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.35%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.76%
I need help with my personal statement (79)
41.8%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (46)
24.34%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.59%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (15)
7.94%

Watched Threads