Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    We study 15 poems plus Macbeth.So far we had 3 exams including 2 poetry and Christmas carol. I was just curious to see how everyone else was finding it

And what grades you have been getting
    btw I'm so confused with 1-9 grading system-especially for english. so if you get 30/30, does that mean you got level 9
    idek

ReputationRep:
    In my school, we've been focussing on studying Macbeth and The Strange Case Of Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde.

Had an English lit exam today, funnily enough, and I guess it's okay - Jekyll and Hyde is so much easier to write about for me, though. I struggled with the Macbeth related question

The grades really confuse me, too, but I think in class I've been getting 8's (I'm not quite sure how it all works) Not sure about in exams though

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I moved this to the English forum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaiaLe)
    In my school, we've been focussing on studying Macbeth and The Strange Case Of Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde.

Had an English lit exam today, funnily enough, and I guess it's okay - Jekyll and Hyde is so much easier to write about for me, though. I struggled with the Macbeth related question

The grades really confuse me, too, but I think in class I've been getting 8's (I'm not quite sure how it all works) Not sure about in exams though
    We have to study 15 poems and any of them could come! We have to know the main quotes off by heart, i think that's unfair!

We just started studying Macbeth, finding it okay i guess, not too bad but understanding is the real issue for me. The non fiction text (English language analysis) is only up to grade 4 (12 marks). and yeah i've been getting grade 8 but recently i got 30/30 (surprisingly) but i was curious to know about the grade 9 cuz the teachers treat it as if its some taboo topic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluepearl7)
    We have to study 15 poems and any of them could come! We have to know the main quotes off by heart, i think that's unfair!

We just started studying Macbeth, finding it okay i guess, not too bad but understanding is the real issue for me. The non fiction text (English language analysis) is only up to grade 4 (12 marks). and yeah i've been getting grade 8 but recently i got 30/30 (surprisingly) but i was curious to know about the grade 9 cuz the teachers treat it as if its some taboo topic.
    We finally started looking at poems a day or two ago (I think it was yesterday, can't quite remember), and I found out we're doing 15 poems from the power and conflict cluster. It's gonna suck having to learn them all/learn the main parts

I struggle sometimes with Macbeth because the language is so different at times. Plus, well done on that 30/30!

Also, I wonder what the mark boundary is for grade 9 (Sorry this was really long, oops)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    The new grading system is difficult to understand for teachers as it is for students because it's a whole new thing that's never been done before. When your teachers where at school - whether they're young, or older teachers, they've always been graded with letters and they've been taught to grade marking with letters as well. So it's all confusing for the both of us.

8-9 is equivalent to A/A*
    7-8 = A/B
    6-7 = B
    4-5 = C
    3-2 = D
    0-1 = E/Ungraded.

The number grading system is actually what you will get overall in your qualification. So once you've completed your GCSEs, on your certificate it will say a number, rather than a letter.

I wouldn't pay no mind to the numbers as they are calculated overall by all of your individual marks from all of your units/exams/modules you will sit.

I don't know why your teachers are marking individual tests/sections/exams in number qualifications (9-1). They should only be marking them by how many marks you'll get on that question/section/exam. This way, it makes it so much easier for students to understand.

ReputationRep:
    The grade boundaries are as follows:
    8-A*
    7-A
    6-B
    5- High C
    4- Low C
    I don't really know the rest. But in our school they treat nines the same way so they don't tell us we got nines, for them the maximum level is an 8. My Physics teacher said it's because for the first cohort a nine is going to be purely statistically based so I think like the top 10% or something. Since it's higher than any grade that currently exists there's nothing to compare to.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 17, 2017
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.