Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Which volume of oxygen gas, at room temperature and pressure, is required for complete combustion of 1.25 × 103 mol of propan-1-ol?

A 105 cm3
    B 120 cm3
    C 135 cm3
    D 120 cm3

Choose one

ReputationRep:
    1. Write out the equation for the complete combustion of propan-1-ol
    2. Balance the equation
    3. Determine moles of oxygen using molar ratios
    4. Multiply moles of oxygen by 24000 to determine volume occupied by oxygen

ReputationRep:
    Write out the equation for the complete combustion of propan-1-ol. Work out the number of moles of O2 in this combustion using the ratios and the moles you have. Rearrange moles = mass/mr to find mass - 1g = 1cm^3 and therefore you have your answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReeceM1)
    1. Write out the equation for the complete combustion of propan-1-ol
    2. Balance the equation
    3. Determine moles of oxygen using molar ratios
    4. Multiply moles of oxygen by 24000 to determine volume occupied by oxygen
    Multiply by 24000? Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kozmo)
    Multiply by 24000? Why?
    1 mol of gas occupies 24 dm^3 at RTP. The answers are given in cm^3, so you multiply by 24000 as there are 1000 cm^3 in a dm^3.

(Original post by Kozmo)
    Write out the equation for the complete combustion of propan-1-ol. Work out the number of moles of O2 in this combustion using the ratios and the moles you have. Rearrange moles = mass/mr to find mass - 1g = 1cm^3 and therefore you have your answer.
    1g = 1cm^3 for water

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReeceM1)
    1 mol of gas occupies 24 dm^3 at RTP. The answers are given in cm^3, so you multiply by 24000 as there are 1000 cm^3 in a dm^3.

1g = 1cm^3 for water
    Ah yes, you're right.
    And in reference to the 1g = 1cm^3, I've seen a mark scheme answer just using volume (1cm^3) in place of mass in this equation. As far as I can recall, it wasn't waster and just used as volume in cm^3 as opposed to mass in grams.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Guys

I was really stuck on this question (i don't know why) it sounds easy now its explained. Its from the new specification for A-level so they decide to put in multiple choice and all that

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 14, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.