Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the long post. I have had braces on since December 2014, I'm currently in Year 13 and about to head off to uni in September. I only really have braces because I was missing an adult tooth and despite there being no immediate problems, my orthodontist insisted there would be huge complications in the future if I didn't remove the baby tooth that's still there, get braces and put an implant in. However since the missing tooth is the second one back from the front, he can't put a fake one there and has decided to move all the teeth that were behind it forward to fill the gap.

I'm not sure how long this whole process should last and he just laughs at me whenever I ask him, replying with the usual "how long is a piece of string?" bs. I have a different springs attached to my wires and two screws inserted into my jaw and I feel like this whole thing is just some little experiment of his. It sounds stupid but honestly it seems like he's more concerned with trying to do something daring and exciting for himself than he is with the fact that I have to live with these damn things on my teeth. He always goes on about how intriguing and adventurous what he's doing is, and never mentions how I will benefit from all this. My normal dentist says it's all a bit over the top. I also have quite sensitive teeth so every time they get tightened, I can't eat solid food for at least 3-4 days.

I really don't know what to do about all of this. I'm not a very pushy person and I just feel like a bit of an idiot every time I ask him something about what he's doing and he just ignores me or laughs at me. I want to ask if he can put the implant in-between the two teeth he has already moved forward and the two still at the back so I can get the braces off asap but at the same time, I'm scared that he'll just tell me "no, you're stuck with these for another two years".

Aesthetically, I had no problems with my teeth before the braces were put on. One stuck out a tiny bit but that was fixed within a month, so it's just even more frustrating since I know there's no amazing transformation waiting for me, my teeth are going to look more or less exactly the same after braces as they did before. I'm not particularly pretty either so I feel like braces just make me look even worse. Sounds like another dumb thing to say, but it's how I feel.

TL;DR - missing an adult tooth, orthodontist is really awkward regarding asking how long braces will be on for, also seems to be more concerned with playing around with different techniques than he does about my teeth. Want to get them taken off asap but he just keeps ignoring anything I ask for

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi everyone,

Sorry for the long post. I have had braces on since December 2014, I'm currently in Year 13 and about to head off to uni in September. I only really have braces because I was missing an adult tooth and despite there being no immediate problems, my orthodontist insisted there would be huge complications in the future if I didn't remove the baby tooth that's still there, get braces and put an implant in. However since the missing tooth is the second one back from the front, he can't put a fake one there and has decided to move all the teeth that were behind it forward to fill the gap.

I'm not sure how long this whole process should last and he just laughs at me whenever I ask him, replying with the usual "how long is a piece of string?" bs. I have a different springs attached to my wires and two screws inserted into my jaw and I feel like this whole thing is just some little experiment of his. It sounds stupid but honestly it seems like he's more concerned with trying to do something daring and exciting for himself than he is with the fact that I have to live with these damn things on my teeth. He always goes on about how intriguing and adventurous what he's doing is, and never mentions how I will benefit from all this. My normal dentist says it's all a bit over the top. I also have quite sensitive teeth so every time they get tightened, I can't eat solid food for at least 3-4 days.

I really don't know what to do about all of this. I'm not a very pushy person and I just feel like a bit of an idiot every time I ask him something about what he's doing and he just ignores me or laughs at me. I want to ask if he can put the implant in-between the two teeth he has already moved forward and the two still at the back so I can get the braces off asap but at the same time, I'm scared that he'll just tell me "no, you're stuck with these for another two years".

Aesthetically, I had no problems with my teeth before the braces were put on. One stuck out a tiny bit but that was fixed within a month, so it's just even more frustrating since I know there's no amazing transformation waiting for me, my teeth are going to look more or less exactly the same after braces as they did before. I'm not particularly pretty either so I feel like braces just make me look even worse. Sounds like another dumb thing to say, but it's how I feel.

TL;DR - missing an adult tooth, orthodontist is really awkward regarding asking how long braces will be on for, also seems to be more concerned with playing around with different techniques than he does about my teeth. Want to get them taken off asap but he just keeps ignoring anything I ask for
    He sounds a bit crazy. Wouldn't put up with that attitude.

ReputationRep:
    The piece of string answer is silly, he'll have a rough idea of how much longer it'll take and he should tell you. He obviously wouldn't be to give an exact date unless you're near the end of treatment but he'll have written a treatment plan for you before starting and should have an idea.

It's your mouth and your treatment, try not to be afraid to ask questions, he should answer them for you. I'm 4 months into a predicted 18 month treatment and I'll definitely be asking how long I'll be in them for closer to the 18 months, can't wait to get rid of them!!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 12, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.