Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A found this question but there was no answer.

ReputationRep:
    Mg2+ + 2e- ---> Mg-2.37
    Zn2+ + 2e- ---> Zn-0.76
    Zn+2(aq) + Mg(s) ---> Zn(s) + Mg(aq) , the answer is yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rimstone)
    Mg2+ + 2e- ---> Mg-2.37
    Zn2+ + 2e- ---> Zn-0.76
    Zn+2(aq) + Mg(s) ---> Zn(s) + Mg(aq) , the answer is yes.
    Manganate, not magnesium

ReputationRep:
    Mn2+ (aq) + 2e- →Mn(s) -1.18
    Zn2+ + 2e- ---> Zn-0.76

so -0.76--1.18= 0.42, so yes it can/ its feasible. is thsi for A-level ?

ReputationRep:
    Mn2+ (aq) + 2e- →Mn(s) -1.18
    Zn2+ + 2e- ---> Zn-0.76

so -0.76--1.18= 0.42, so yes it can/ its feasible. is thsi for A-level ?
    Manganate not manganese(II) ion.

If I were you, I'd look up the electrode potential values and when you've found them report back here with your conclusion and we'll confirm your thoughts.

I have the values myself, but it will be a much better learning exercise if you take an active role in it.

[/teacher]

ReputationRep:
    You just happened to find this question, there happens to be no answer. Coincidence, I think not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GdotMdot)
    You just happened to find this question, there happens to be no answer. Coincidence, I think not.
    It is an end of topic recap question, why does it bother you?

ReputationRep:
    Manganate can produce manganese(II) ion, the Q is way too vague really. No idea the struc of the reactants, products.

And thats the only EMF i can get for Mn, either way why even ask this Q with no data. The Q must have had data, if its for A-level. Otherwise who knows if it can.

To simple put it, its very likely it can, but i cant be asked to work it out.

ReputationRep:
    Manganate can produce manganese(II) ion, the Q is way too vague really. No idea the struc of the reactants, products.

And thats the only EMF i can get for Mn, either way why even ask this Q with no data. The Q must have had data, if its for A-level. Otherwise who knows if it can.

To simple put it, its very likely it can, but i cant be asked to work it out.
    Manganate(assumeVII) is a really rather strong oxidising agent. MnO4− + 8 H+ + 5 e− <-> Mn2++ 4 H2O E = +1.51 V
    Zinc metal isa pretty good reducing agent. Zn2+ + 2 e− <-> Zn(s) E = −0.76 V

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.