Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    As the title says, I can't find a foundation that matches my skin nicely. I have quite pale skin which gets dry in patches, meaning my current foundation can look a bit cakey around my nose etc.

My face itself isn't too bad, at the moment I have Nars Sheer Glow in Mont Blanc and L'Oreal Infallible in porcelain, which are the lightest shades I could get. The problem I have is that my neck is almost white :lol: my face is naturally darker than my neck and when I wear foundation that matches my face, I just look like I've chosen one 2 shades too dark. However, I can't get one to match my neck and even if I could, I think it would look wrong on my face.

I've attempted to put minimal amounts of fake tan onto my neck to try and match it to my face, however none of those attempts have been very successful. Friends have suggested using bronzer to darken my neck but I can never get it to look even and natural.

I'm scared to buy full bottles of foundations since they can be so expensive and if they don't work for me, it's just a waste of money. Some of the assistants I've gone to for help getting matched with a colour have been far too happy to try and sell me one that's completely wrong

Also, second issue - my foundation never seems to look flawless? Some people can wear foundation and it looks like they have nothing on and their skin is just perfect, whereas mine looks like a small child attacked my face with a paintbrush. I usually apply it with a damp beauty blender, but I've tried brushes, sponges and my fingers and nothing really works. I've tried 4 different foundations and none of them look as perfect as I'd like. I just wish I wasn't so clueless with makeup!

PS sorry this is so long

ReputationRep:
    I had the same problem and I just use the same foundation on my face as on my neck as I bought a foundation in a very tan shade but my tan has slightly faded so I just put on both my face and neck and it looks fine. And are you using moistouriser or primer underneath your foundation bc that could be why it doesn't look 'flawless', or it could be that the foundation isn't suitable for your skin type? Hope this helps a little

ReputationRep:
    Put foundation on your neck aswell or get it to match your neck and warm your face up with bronzer?

ReputationRep:
    You could use two shades of foundation and blend them. I use Maybelline dream satin liquid in shades Ivory and Nude. If you're quite pale I would just use the Ivory shade but obviously you need to try in the shop to find the colour matching your skin tone. Apply a bit under your jawline and neck as well and finish with some bronzer using a big brush (both neck and face) to equalize the color.

Edit: apply with your fingers instead of a sponge to avoid the cake look.

ReputationRep:
    I am sure I read somewhere online that for those with really pale skin, if they mix a small amount of white face paint in with their foundation, it can help create the perfect shade.

It sounds crazy but maybe try giving it ago

ReputationRep:
    Try and get one that is in between your face shade and neck shade? That's what i do, i dont have as light skin as you (i use L'oreal lasting finish in rose vanilla) but i do have the same issue with my neck being a lot lighter than my face, so the rose vanilla shade is slightly lighter than my natural colour.

Also if you can find a slightly lighter shade, bronzer is really good for making your face darker in the right places (contour, edge of face, jaw line).

Also if you want it to go on nicely make sure you use a primer or moisturiser first. Also make sure you are using liquid foundation and not matte.

Also have you tried using a buffing brush? I find these are really good for making my foundation look more flawless.

What about trying a bb cream? These go on smoother and if the colour isnt a perfect match it's not so obvious (but you will only a get a light coverage).

Ultimately it's just a matter of trying lots and lots of foundations until you find one that suits you, took me a longgg time to find L'oreal lasting finish!

ReputationRep:
    use paint

works everytime.

ReputationRep:
    I sorta have the same problem but the other way around! Basically, I'm asian so I have brown skin so it's quite hard to find a matching foundation as they're all too light for my skin tone.

Also, just putting this question out there, I've never really properly used foundation...and my skin is an even tone ( I don't have any red bits etc) I only have a darker tone around my eyes, however, my face has a really rough texture so I was just thinking, would it be worth it for me to get foundation?

(Sorry for hijacking your thread by the way!)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.