• Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Curious about this!
    Well I was raised to be kind and compassionate and to not take anything for granted, whilst i had 2 parents in my life although they were short on time they always did their best for me and i knew that. Especially my dad taught me how good a feeling you get when you help a friend in need.

As my dad died when i was 9, when raising my kids personally my career will be less of a priority to me than my kids (as i'm always going to wish that we had more time together but i do understand he worked hard to try and give me everything possible and support mum through doing a degree), as I know how precious time is and i want to spend as much as possible with them.

I think we'll teach them as young as possible how to make responsible choices in life and how to be accepting about different beliefs and so they develop their own religious spiritual beliefs of their own accord and i d want to encourage critical and creative thinking with them to.

ReputationRep:
    No carrot and loads of stick!
    Probably I will raise my kids the same.

ReputationRep:
    I will teach my kids to be decent human beings because that's apparently too much to ask for in this day and age :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Definitely would teach them budgeting and never to live outside of their means, to take every opportunity, to make them realise that although the world is going to sometimes be against them, because of who they are (my kids) they will be able to surpass and overcome that. And that they'll always have it better than most (because they will be 1st world western kids) even if theyre not in the latest clothes etc. And that the world will often try to help them, they've just got to be gracious and pleasant.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by donte)
    Definitely would teach them budgeting and never to live outside of their means.
    Incredibly important in parenting I think, way too many people realize too late that they shouldn't live outside of their means especially at uni.

ReputationRep:
    I was brought up strictly as a kid and beaten because my family members had some magical idea that I would grow up obedient and strive for perfection. It did the complete opposite when I became a teenager. I rebelled and pretty much always disobeyed my parents. And I suffer from depression and had a huge self harming problem. When I was self harming, they found out and called me manipulative and attention seeking. The resentment from me became stronger.

I didn't have a great childhood and most of my teenage years were horrible. I only have two more teen years left and I plan to do the stuff I couldn't do as a teenager (go out with friends, go to concerts, go on holidays, go on sleepovers).

I don't want kids because I'm terrified I'll end up like my parents but if I change my mind and do have them, I'd probably do next to anything to give them the happy, carefree childhood I never had.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Incredibly important in parenting I think, way too many people realize too late that they shouldn't live outside of their means especially at uni.
    Exactly, although to be honest the best place to learn about that is Uni, because if its simply the maintenance loan that they havent budgeted they've got a bit more flexibility....
    but for those who have an overdraft every other month then god help them!:eek: :eek:
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by donte)
    Exactly, although to be honest the best place to learn about that is Uni, because if its simply the maintenance loan that they havent budgeted they've got a bit more flexibility....
    but for those who have an overdraft every other month then god help them!:eek: :eek:
    It's the people who end up living off 18p noodles and maxed out their overdraft on nights out and stuff they didn't need and then end up complaining when they could have actually managed comfortably with a budget, especially seeing people in 3rd year like that really confused me.

ReputationRep:
    I will honestly raise my kids opposite to how I was raised as far as family values
    but the culture I will keep
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    I grew up in a slightly strict Pakistani family with a big family and having three sisters made my mother over protective towards me, as if I would steer over the edge and become rebellious. I don't come from an overly religious family so religion was never enforced or preached at me. Culture was a massive part to my growing up as being Asian, I was expected not to do things that a "white" person would. I would say that I grew up with a respectful family but often we fought and swore at each other.

One thing I am happy about is that my parents strived for my education and my sisters', we have career focused aunties and uncles and so marriage/kids is often never a thought I ever have. I never think about kids because I barely look after myself. It depends on the right person to steal my heart.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 9, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.