Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, can anyone please help me understand the difference between Embryo transplant and adult cell cloning.. only topic that gets me in B1.

Thanks, good luck in exams.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by greenapple10)
    Hi guys, can anyone please help me understand the difference between Embryo transplant and adult cell cloning.. only topic that gets me in B1.

Hi! I moved this to the Biology forum for you - you're more likely to get a good answer here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenapple10)

In embryo transplants, a developing embryo is removed from a pregnant animal at an early stage, before the embryo’s cells have had time to become specialized. The cells are separated, grown for a while in a laboratory and then transplanted into host mothers.When the offspring are born, they are identical to each other and genetically related to the original pregnant animal. They are not related to their host mothers because they contain different genetic information.And in adult cell cloning, the nucleus is removed from an unfertilized egg cell, then the nucleus is removed from the adult skin cell that you want to clone and it is inserted into the unfertilized egg cell. the egg cell is given an electric shock to cause the cell to divide and causes an embryo to be formed. the embryo is inserted into a surrogate mother and the clone is born.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by issathemuslim1)
    In embryo transplants, a developing embryo is removed from a pregnant animal at an early stage, before the embryo’s cells have had time to become specialized. The cells are separated, grown for a while in a laboratory and then transplanted into host mothers.When the offspring are born, they are identical to each other and genetically related to the original pregnant animal. They are not related to their host mothers because they contain different genetic information.And in adult cell cloning, the nucleus is removed from an unfertilized egg cell, then the nucleus is removed from the adult skin cell that you want to clone and it is inserted into the unfertilized egg cell. the egg cell is given an electric shock to cause the cell to divide and causes an embryo to be formed. the embryo is inserted into a surrogate mother and the clone is born.
    thanks a lot, i really appreciate it !

ReputationRep:
    I know someone has already explained it but I'll explain it again ha.

Embryo Transplant: An embryo is allowed to develop until its eight cell stage. The embryo is then split into four sets of two cells each. Each of these two sets of cells are put into host mothers. They then continue to develop as normal and the calves are born to be genetically identical to each other.

Adult Cell Cloning: An egg cell is taken from a female and its nucleus (which contains genetic information) is removed to leave an empty egg cell. A somatic or normal body cell like a skin cell is taken and its nucleus is taken out of the cell, the rest of the cell is not needed- we only need the nucleus. The body cell nucleus is put into the 'empty' egg cell and then an electric shock is given in order to being the division of the cell finally causing an embryo to form. This embryo is put into a surrogate mother and develops and is born as normal. The resulting individual is a clone.

I hope I managed to simplify it enough, if you need any more B1 help just let me know!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.