Ano123
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So if you have say iron(II) sulphate which can obviously be written in a convenient way  \text{FeSO}_4 . I'm aware that this can be in a hydrated form (most commonly)  \text{FeSO}_4 \cdot 7 \text{H}_2 \text{O} .
I have a few questions. Firstly what is the hydrated ion above called (how do you systematically name it) and what is its structure like?
Is it like  \left [ \text{Fe(H}_2 \text{O} )_6 \right ]^{2+} with the other water outside of the main complex (sulphate obviously ionically bonded) or is it something else (maybe something to do with the different coordination spheres)?
Thank you
Ano123
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Anyone have any knowledge of this and can help me understand it a bit more?
carrotstar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ano123)
Anyone have any knowledge of this and can help me understand it a bit more?
Gimme 5.. I'm looking through notes from the first year of my degree because I'm sure I didn't do that at A-level!
carrotstar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
So if you have say iron(II) sulphate which can obviously be written in a convenient way  \text{FeSO}_4 . I'm aware that this can be in a hydrated form (most commonly)  \text{FeSO}_4 \cdot 7 \text{H}_2 \text{O} .
I have a few questions. Firstly what is the hydrated ion above called (how do you systematically name it) and what is its structure like?
Is it like  \left [ \text{Fe(H}_2 \text{O} )_6 \right ]^{2+} with the other water outside of the main complex (sulphate obviously ionically bonded) or is it something else (maybe something to do with the different coordination spheres)?
Thank you
I think it might be ferrous sulphatoheptahydrate
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thank you
iron(II) sulfate heptahydrate

The iron will have an octahedral coordination sphere and the remaining water will form part of the crystal lattice along with the sulfate ion.

If you want the unit cell structure you probably need a book like Earnshaw and Greenwood's - Chemistry of the elements.

EDIT: No the above book does not have the crystal unit cell, only confirmation of the hexaaquairon(II) ion in the structure.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (82)
26.62%
England (104)
33.77%
Belgium (26)
8.44%
Germany (37)
12.01%
Spain (5)
1.62%
Italy (26)
8.44%
Netherlands (10)
3.25%
Other (Tell us who) (18)
5.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise