Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Would they let you use of these on the a plane? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have never been on a plane and I don't know how strict they are.

I have bought a PDA on ebay for £10, then an MP3 module for £3 and 64MB storage for £15, (I will sell this and then buy a 256mb module) so I have myself a very cheap word processor, games consule and MP3 player. I just wouldn't even I could take it on a plane or not. The problem is it can be used a communications device as it can connect to the internet if another one these things are connected a PC.

http://images.vnunet.com/v6_image/v6...g_cybiko02.jpg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)

I have bought a PDA on ebay for £10, then an MP3 module for £3 and 64MB storage for £15, (I will sell this and then buy a 256mb module) so I have myself a very cheap word processor, games consule and MP3 player. I just wouldn't even I could take it on a plane or not. The problem is it can be used a communications device as it can connect to the internet if another one these things are connected a PC.

lol dont let them see the little aerial! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    lol dont let them see the little aerial! :eek:
    Thats pecisly what Iam worried about. I have the commincations turned of on it but they won't know that. I could snap it off maybe.

ReputationRep:
    As you are not using it as a communications device you should be okay. However, they are against using CD-ROM so if this stuff works on the same principle than it will not be allowed.
    However the crew may be jobseworths and say no anyway. Some airlines inist on you obtaining the crew's permission before use. You could check www.ba.com , which has a link about bain items under, I think, my jouney on the left hand side menu on the site.
    HTH

ReputationRep:
    Thats pecisly what Iam worried about. I have the commincations turned of on it but they won't know that. I could snap it off maybe.
    have you actually touched teh thing? the aerial maybe can come off?

ReputationRep:
    The flight is Easyjet. So if I can;t use a CD-ROM I assume thats my personal CD player out of the question as well then?

The arial can't come off but I can snap it off, its not ideal though. In fact it will look like a mess if I do.

I think if I was the captain and saw that I would not allow them to use it.

I will be able to take on board I assume though just not as hand luggage?

ReputationRep:
    The flight is Easyjet. So if I can;t use a CD-ROM I assume thats my personal CD player out of the question as well then?

The arial can't come off but I can snap it off, its not ideal though. In fact it will look like a mess if I do.

I think if I was the captain and saw that I would not allow them to use it.

I will be able to take on board I assume though just not as hand luggage?
    i've had no problems using a cd player on a plane... dunno about the rest though

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I have used both my MP3 Player and a Tablet PC on the plane, and they were fine about it. You are probably best off checking officially by phoning up or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Last time I was on a BA plane the stewardess was completely arsey about my mp3 player for some reason.
    I think they are worried about RFI frequencies interering with the the planes commincation equipment. I don't see how a CD player or MP3 player can generate much though if anything.

My device is a bit different as it can transmit stuff.

ReputationRep:
    so u can not use a laptop on a plane?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    I forgot to add 'during take off'. They were alright about it after that, I don't think she knew what it was.
    your not meant to have headphones or anything during take off- i've had them be arsey about mine before

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    So I will be ok with my personal CD player then. Has anybody used any communication device on a plane before? If I can I want to buy a 256mb SD card and stick the music I want to listen on that, rather than bothering with lots of CDs.

ReputationRep:
    So I will be ok with my personal CD player then. Has anybody used any communication device on a plane before? If I can I want to buy a 256mb SD card and stick the music I want to listen on that, rather than bothering with lots of CDs.
    CD Player, fine. I never have any problems with this or my minidisc.

I have used a PDA on a plane with no probs. Admittedly, it was a bit of a crap one which resembles an electronic translator more than a palm pilot, but nothing happened.

I would be v. surprised if they said anything, so just get it out and use it. My mom uses her psion series 5 all the time and they don't say anything.

You should be fine, so long as you don't whip it out during a critical period of the flight. All they can do is tell you to put it away anyway.

ReputationRep:
    You can't use them during take-off or landing, but other than that you should be allowed to use them. They will say when you can turn them on and tell you when they need to be turned off again after take-off and before landing.

ReputationRep:
    unless that PDA is really a bomb i don't see how they would mind :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    CD Player, fine. I never have any problems with this or my minidisc.

I have used a PDA on a plane with no probs. Admittedly, it was a bit of a crap one which resembles an electronic translator more than a palm pilot, but nothing happened.

I would be v. surprised if they said anything, so just get it out and use it. My mom uses her psion series 5 all the time and they don't say anything.

You should be fine, so long as you don't whip it out during a critical period of the flight. All they can do is tell you to put it away anyway.
    Thanks

The "critical period of the flight" bit makes it sound very dangerous:mad: . Surely a few MP3 players or CD players cannot cause the plain to crash? Or is it just an absoloute safety measure? I.e way over the top?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

The "critical period of the flight" bit makes it sound very dangerous:mad: . Surely a few MP3 players or CD players cannot cause the plain to crash? Or is it just an absoloute safety measure? I.e way over the top?
    They can effect the plane's equipment during take-off - the radiowaves can mess with the equipment. But its ok while mid-flight.

ReputationRep:
    the general idea is to turn them off during critical phases, ie takeoff and landing. cruise is acceptable for electronic devices. although some airlines are more lenient than others, air traffic controllers often hear mobile phones beeping away in the cockpit - even pilots sometimes dont bother turning them off.

if in doubt, just ask

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

Not meaning to scaremonger, but it is bloody dangerous (in non-relative terms), this is when 90% of plane crashes occur. Relatively speaking, you are *much, much, much* safer travelling by plane, than by car (which is a deathtrap) and rail - or any other form of transport, for that matter. Planes (and the companies which run them) are subject to a phenomenal amount of legislation and checking compared to the roads, railways and shipping lanes.

Laptops can be used on several planes, it depends on the airline's policy.

As for the debate concerning how dangerous the use (inflight) of certain electronic items is - read this.

ReputationRep:

is it even worth analyzing? a flight to spain takes about 1-2 hrs. who cares, can't u wait that long without using it??/

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.