Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    There are two guys who are junior programmers.

After getting information on them on how they achieved to get a good job without a degree, this is what they informed me:

1) Develop one good complex project, this could be a video game, flight simulator, algorithm or anything of your choice.

Learn one/two language, such as C#, Java, C++, Python, there are many resources on the internet such as YouTube, Piscera, UDemy, Google, Tutorials point to achieve this, also Google C++ tutorials, etc.

Learn Python free ebook: http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/
    Free Javascript ebook learning Javascript and programming in general: http://eloquentjavascript.net/

Or

2) They both developed projects on their own about 30, however, 15-20 good, solid projects are better than 30 average projects. Show your projects on Github.

3) Learn Javascript, JQuery, Angular JS, Node JS, MySQL, NoSQL (MongoDB, Cassandra), PHP- some employers do require a candidate to have knowledge of and this will boost your CV.

4) Learn querying data and analytics's such as SAS, Hibernate.

5) Contributing on open source projects. Not required, however it can help.

6) Using test driven development to test your projects.

7) Use Object Orientated Programming

8) Knowledge of Agile

9) Knowledge of Apache (such as Hive, Tomcat etc)

10) Use source/version control such as Git or SVN

Most of these programmer, developer jobs don't require a degree, once you have completed your projects, send a github link to your CV so employers can access your projects and start applying for junior C#, Java, Python programmer/developer jobs.

Also if you learn PHP, MySQL, Javascript and develop projects, you can get a programming, developer job in that too.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Tl;dr experience.

ReputationRep:
    Learn Python free ebook: http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/

ReputationRep:
    Free Javascript ebook: http://eloquentjavascript.net/

ReputationRep:
    Learn NoSQL (MongoDB, Cassandra), developers are required to have proficiency in databases.

ReputationRep:
    Also learning big analytic such as SAS will help and gaining knowledge, proficiency in Hive, Hibernate in querying data will boost your CV.

ReputationRep:
    This thread needs sticking, it's awesome.

Thank you CompSci89

ReputationRep:
    Your very welcome.

Once you have experience, you can switch from Java to C# developer or get a job in another language since most programming concepts are the same, the syntax is just different.

This field is also very flexible, you can do remote work from home or with some experience, run your own business.

ReputationRep:
    For the people who want to get into Java, you should also try to gain knowledge and skills of Jira, Hira, JSP, Hadoop.

Also knowledge of SOAP and software development models, life cycle can help with general programming.

ReputationRep:
    Learn Apache (Hive, etc), Agile (Scrum) and OOP (object oritentated programming).

For Java learn JSP, JIRA, HIRA.

For Python learn Linux.

ReputationRep:
    Also for C# learn MVC and for C++ DirectX.

ReputationRep:
    oh didn't read OP oops :lol:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Great thread! Just wanted to add MongoDB, Redis and RabbitMQ are very hot at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask what sort of general time frame people would give for learning the suggested stuff here? I'm considering doing a Conversion MSc as detailed in another thread I've just posted but I'd also consider being self-taught if I thought there was a reasonable chance of landing a developer/programmer job or being able to run my own business at the end of it all. As a newcomer to the software development world (with very basic skills in HTML and Python) I'd like to know how long it would take (just a really rough estimate) for me to learn enough of the above recommended languages to a point where I'd be confident and able enough to compete with those having done a compsci level of programming etc?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Old thread BUT... some excellent posts ITT. You can definitely boost your chances if you're able to demonstrate a real passion in this area.

Note: don't shy away from traditional RDBMS (SQL) either, being comfortable with both (NoSQL) is crucial as you'll inevitably be involved in them in some way.

Pretty much everything is covered here except for server and network architecture, administration etc. don't skip out on UNIX/Linux. In fact, set up a pair of VMs, web servers and communicate with each other. Use whatever you want for your API development.

Key areas as mentioned: JavaScript and PHP frameworks + libraries (Laravel, Symfony, Express, AngularJS, Node.js, Vue.js, jQuery - yep that too), server-side (node, npm, apache, nginx), databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL - you may hate it, but it crops up) + MongoDB, version control (preferably Git but SVN too), Java, JBoss and such. Get familiar with using the command line for everything - you may as well look at the shell and bash scripting.

You might come across Jira and BitBucket along with other integrations. Various deployment tools, devops etc.

Speaking of JS, take a look at ECMAScript 5+ and 6+.

Obviously HTML5/CSS3 and styling tools e.g. LESS/SASS. You got other stuff like Grunt or Gulp as well. Get familiar with the Chrome Developer Tools, Firebug, IE equivalent - due to the importance of cross-browser compatibility (as well as a range of other platforms).

You eventually find what you like and branch out, or Jack of all trades.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need 30 projects.

5/6 projects in your chosen language will do the job.

Projects on a simulation of a video game, epos system(google how to create one in Java, c#), apps, web apis(REST) will do the job.

ReputationRep:
    Also you can use Treehouse's, Pluralsight, Udacity, Lynda software, web developments projects after you learn it in the language as your own projects in your portfolio.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.