Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who here uses cutting/bulking cycles? watch

• View Poll Results: How do you diet when lifting weights?
    I don't lift weights
    0%
    I lift weights and use cut/bulk cycles
    83.33%
    I lift weights and stay at maintenance
    16.67%
    I lift weights and am always 'bulking'
    0%
    I lift weights but don't pay much attention to my diet
    0%
    I lift weights and do none of the above with my diet
    0%

ReputationRep:
    Just interested in how many people deliberately cut and bulk vs. maintaining, always 'lean bulking' etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Implication)
    Just interested in how many people deliberately cut and bulk vs. maintaining, always 'lean bulking' etc.
    If someone is lean all year around and makes all kinds of gains then something is a bit fishy.

You gotta do both bulking/cutting to stay in the :dumbells: game for the long run.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Recomp is life

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Recomp is life

Posted from TSR Mobile
    what does recomp actually mean though haha? losing weight fairly slowly and trying to add mass at the same time?
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    what does recomp actually mean though haha? losing weight fairly slowly and trying to add mass at the same time?
    Stay the same weight there or there abouts and lose fat, gain muscle

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I tried recomp, it's painful, more the bulk days than the cut. I'd rather just bulk and cut, I don't all the time, I have had fairly long periods of maintaining and I think I may be getting close to a point where I'm happy with my weight functionally and how I look so I will long term maintain. Recomp doesn't just happen for me whilst maintaining, it needs to be a proper effort

I don't draw a distinction between bulk and lean bulk, I think it's bulk and stupidly getting fat.If you're gaining more than a little fat then you're just doing it wrong
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Technically, it means staying at the same weight but shifting fat and gaining muscle.

Realistically, it means either staying the same if you're natty or getting on tren, T3 and all sorts to make it work. Even then, I know several steroid users, none of whom do this. Even fitness models who need to stay pretty lean year round don't do this, they just go through microcycles of bulking and cutting (say 8 weeks bulking and up to 4 weeks cutting) to maintain a low level of bodyfat year round while still making gains, which actually I think is a sensible and effective approach for the advanced lifter.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    You can make perfectly good gains as a natty up up to mid intermediate lifter bf% depending. Source - me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 10, 2016
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.