Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Oh god, it's the exam I've been dreading. Okay so I'm not so good at maths, I love social subjects but not maths. How is everyone feeling for it? I just want it out of the way as I do not plan to take it for next year.

ReputationRep:
    not feeling great either, I am just like you and prefer history to maths as it's my worst subject!

ReputationRep:
    Not feeling too bad. The past two papers haven't been too hard, I just hope and pray they don't give us a paper that's hard, like what they done to the New Higher kids last year :O

ReputationRep:
    Not too worried I got an A band 1 in the prelim. Just need to go over some stuff then hopefully it will go ok.

ReputationRep:
    Doing some model papers right now and I'm feeling a bit more confident, but I'm anticipating the moment I hit a brick wall and my momentum just crashes. The usual with maths...

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how to do this question?

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1462903864.047396.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  103.7 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    if anyone has the maths national 5 model papers pls post it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moh_sue123)
    Does anyone know how to do this question?

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1462903864.047396.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  103.7 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You sure thats a N5 paper? What paper is it? Looks very Higher like to someone doing Higher.

Wait, doesn't matter I found it, thinking about it not Higher like at all really. Take equation from part a) and sub whatever the new area would be (300 + 75%) for A and solve for x.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PTS_99)
    You sure thats a N5 paper? What paper is it? Looks very Higher like to someone doing Higher.

Wait, doesn't matter I found it, thinking about it not Higher like at all really. Take equation from part a) and sub whatever the new area would be (300 + 75%) for A and solve for x.
    I still don't understand what you mean

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethan100)
    I still don't understand what you mean
    Wait, are you stuck on part a) & b) or just part b)?

ReputationRep:
    Wait, are you stuck on part a) & b) or just part b)?
    Part a

ReputationRep:
    A=(10+x)(30+x)

Then break the brackets

ReputationRep:
    Part a
    Ok. The question says that the original vent is 30cm x 10cm.
    You are told that the area of the new vent is x^2 + 40x + 300, and are asked to prove it.
    The new version of the vent is going to add x to each of the dimensions to make it bigger than the original. Therefore the length of the new vent is 30+x cm and the width 10+x cm, until we know what x is (what part b is all about).
    You should know (I think its in the formulae sheet anyway) that the area of a rectangle is simply length times breadth (width). Therefore you know that the area of the new vent is A = (x+30)(x+10). You should be able to work it out from there.

ReputationRep:
    Ok. The question says that the original vent is 30cm x 10cm.
    You are told that the area of the new vent is x^2 + 40x + 300, and are asked to prove it.
    The new version of the vent is going to add x to each of the dimensions to make it bigger than the original. Therefore the length of the new vent is 30+x cm and the width 10+x cm, until we know what x is (what part b is all about).
    You should know (I think its in the formulae sheet anyway) that the area of a rectangle is simply length times breadth (width). Therefore you know that the area of the new vent is A = (x+30)(x+10). You should be able to work it out from there.
    Yeah I understand it now, THANKS SO MUCH !

ReputationRep:
    hey guys do you think int 2 questions are in the n5 exam ?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I understand it now, THANKS SO MUCH !
    No bother, happy to help

(Original post by reveen)
    hey guys do you think int 2 questions are in the n5 exam ?
    Yep, a lot of questions (content only mind you) were carried forward into N5.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  13220131_1543824045923602_912197781_n.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  69.1 KB

How to do this question somebody reply ASAP and help please!!!

ReputationRep:
    1/2abSinC is the formula

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.