Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Has anyone out there done an intercalated masters abroad? I was wondering if it was at all possible or how hard it was?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xppx3)
    Hi guys,

Has anyone out there done an intercalated masters abroad? I was wondering if it was at all possible or how hard it was?

Thanks
    I nearly did (so applied and everything) but then got an offer from my first choice intercalation so never went abroad! I know someone who intercalated in a MSc at Harvard, and somebody else doing something at the Pasteur Institut - so yes it's definitely possible but I think a lot of it comes down to your own university and how you navigate the administration.

General tips: start the process very early, ideally a year in advance or so. Make sure the institution you want to intercalate at will let medical students intercalate their Masters; some are a bit weird about it. Involve lots of different people at different stages of the medical hierarchy (your tutor, a supervisor maybe, head of year, head of undergraduate teaching etc.) Some universities might not let you go study abroad in a 'dangerous' location.

Might be able to help a bit more if you had specific questions, ideas about where/what you wanted to do?

ReputationRep:
    Well the plan is to do something in Europe, maybe Sweden (cos free) but I didn't know if it'd be possible having not technically graduated, but having enough European Degree Credits (or something) to be eligible. Because, should I go abroad and do a masters, I'd be graduating with a masters before I got my bachelors? I didn't know if this was possible, but as you say it seems to be, but just requires a lot of organisation/cooperation.

I think it'd be best to find a few programmes I'm interested in and fire of a few emails to the relevant institutions

Thanks for you help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xppx3)
    Well the plan is to do something in Europe, maybe Sweden (cos free) but I didn't know if it'd be possible having not technically graduated, but having enough European Degree Credits (or something) to be eligible. Because, should I go abroad and do a masters, I'd be graduating with a masters before I got my bachelors? I didn't know if this was possible, but as you say it seems to be, but just requires a lot of organisation/cooperation.

I think it'd be best to find a few programmes I'm interested in and fire of a few emails to the relevant institutions

Thanks for you help
    Actually yes I forgot to mention - most places I have seen do require an undergraduate degree. Some places (such as LSHTM in London) let you intercalate after you've completed 3 years at medical school and therefore you would have an equivalent of a BMedSci, but you need to ask the places individually.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's the problem I expect will be my main enemy

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.