Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best ways to earn interest on saving? watch

ReputationRep:
    Currently for a number of years now interest rates have always been cr*ap, however what the best way to earn interest on saving. I know an ISA offer a good rate, but surely their must be other ways?

I am not just referring to banks, i have heard of peer lending that offer good rate. (12.5%) However anything less risky?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Some current accounts seem to have better rates now, it seems.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    My current account offers 4.5% on £5k

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    My current account offers 4.5% on £5k
    Which one?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by accno1)
    Which one?
    Club lloyds I meant 4%

ReputationRep:
    ISAs are good, anything where you store your cash in an illiquid state usually offers good rates (Bonds, Savings accounts etc)

ReputationRep:
    The higher the risk, the higher the rate of return.

The tax on savings changed this tax year so you can earn £500 or £1,000 of interest tax free on any savings (before you were taxed 20% at source though you could claim back if not earning).

There are a few current accounts which let you earn anything between 2% and 5% on various amounts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akpatel94)
    Currently for a number of years now interest rates have always been cr*ap, however what the best way to earn interest on saving. I know an ISA offer a good rate, but surely their must be other ways?I am not just referring to banks, i have heard of peer lending that offer good rate. (12.5%) However anything less risky?

Have a look on here, this shows you how you can maximise interest using bank accounts.

http://www.bankaccountsavings.co.uk/

ReputationRep:
    Help to buy isa. You can put £200 a month into it and the government add £50 for every 200 you save. But you can only spend it on buying property

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.