Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished off my student finance, to discover I'm getting a maintenance loan of £3821. Now I don't know if this is average, but I honestly expected more, seeing as my household income falls into the lowest bracket. There's also a mention of "means tested" and "non means tested" which I'm also really confused about.

Am I reading something wrong, or is that actually how much I'm getting, in which case, will I be able to survive at university with that alone?

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Were you supposed to apply for a maintenance grant as well? Or maybe you didn't apply for means testing? Probably the latter based on the number you got.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    Were you supposed to apply for a maintenance grant as well? Or maybe you didn't apply for means testing? Probably the latter based on the number you got.
    Well grants aren't a thing this year unfortunately, so I'd wager it's not that. Can you explain what means tested means and how I "apply" for it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ludd-sama)
    Well grants aren't a thing this year unfortunately, so I'd wager it's not that. Can you explain what means tested means and how I "apply" for it?
    It's part of the application, where you apply to have your household income taken into account - being income-assessed. If you don't think you took that option, you can phone SF and get them to change your application. SF will then contact your parents and ask them for proof of their last year's earnings. If their combined income is low, you will get an extra Maintenance Loan amount on top of the basic £3821 a year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    It's part of the application, where you apply to have your household income taken into account - being income-assessed. If you don't think you took that option, you can phone SF and get them to change your application. SF will then contact your parents and ask them for proof of their last year's earnings. If their combined income is low, you will get an extra Maintenance Loan amount on top of the basic £3821 a year.
    I see, I guess I'll give them a call tomorrow then. Thanks alot

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.