Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea what to do in this circle question. Could you also help me in the bearing question part c).

Thanks.

The answers are: from the circle one m=36;
    the bearing one is 308.
    Attached Images

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by ndk123)
    I have no idea what to do in this circle question. Could you also help me in the bearing question part c).

Thanks.
    Hi! I moved this to the maths forum for you - you're more likely to get a good answer here

ReputationRep:
    What will help you here is the the parallel lines tell you that the angle at P and O add up to 180. Also the angle at the opposite side of the circle from Q is twice the angle at the centre and also add to the angle at Q to give 180.

Put these facts together to form an equation in m for the four angles in PQRS add ing up to 360

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerak99)
    What will help you here is the the parallel lines tell you that the angle at P and O add up to 180. Also the angle at the opposite side of the circle from Q is twice the angle at the centre and also add to the angle at Q to give 180.

Put these facts together to form an equation in m for the four angles in PQRS add ing up to 360
    Thanks. But i'm still not getting the correct answer.

So:

angle P=m
    angle O= 180-m
    angle Q= 180-2m
    Angle R=2m

so
    m+180-m+180-2m+2m=360
    this gets all cancelled out.... So what am i supposed to do then?

thanks.

ReputationRep:
    For the angle corresponding to 2m you have to use the fact that the opposite angles of a cyclic Quad add to 180 (also the opposite angle to Q being half the angle at the centre O.) The opposite angle is half of the angle at O and is hence (180-m)/2.

This gives you an angle at Q of 180-((180-m)/2)=(180+m)/2

The working will be a good exercise but gives m=36

Without using the fact that the opposite angles add to 180 and the you are effectively saying that 360=360 or in other words what you stated in
    m+180-m+180-2m+2m=360 is an identity not an equation.

Because it would work for any quad like that.

It is incorporating the opposite angle in the cyclic quad that constrains m to a value that works for a quad that is in a circle with vertices at the centre and circumference.

The equation is
    m+180-m+(180+m)/2+2m=360 >>>> 2m+360-2m+180+m+4m=720 >>>>>>m=36

Unless I have made an error.

The identity-equation thing is a bit subtle for GCSE(IMHO)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.