Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i would like some advice please , i have recently been offered an unconditional offer at the University of Leeds , for an undergrad Nursing degree , i just wanted to know , what the term times are like , and holidays , and when you go for placement is it like long days or they are split evenly through out the week i.e Monday - Sunday . I am a bit worried because I applied for the bursary and to be honest it will not be enough , i only get a total of £5400 a year , i would like to know if the timetables are suitable for your to work on a flexible basis . i do know it is a professional course hense why it is 45 weeks but in those 45 weeks will you have time to work , do placement and juggle assignments? or they make it so difficult for you to work ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pearsonitis)
    i would like some advice please , i have recently been offered an unconditional offer at the University of Leeds , for an undergrad Nursing degree , i just wanted to know , what the term times are like , and holidays , and when you go for placement is it like long days or they are split evenly through out the week i.e Monday - Sunday . I am a bit worried because I applied for the bursary and to be honest it will not be enough , i only get a total of £5400 a year , i would like to know if the timetables are suitable for your to work on a flexible basis . i do know it is a professional course hense why it is 45 weeks but in those 45 weeks will you have time to work , do placement and juggle assignments? or they make it so difficult for you to work ?
    To be brutally honest, I am surprised that you have got to the stage of an unconditional offer without being more aware of the answers to the questions you have asked. Nevertheless, I shall answer them for you

So yes, the course is approximately 45 weeks per year. This allows for 2 weeks holiday around Easter and Christmas, and 3 weeks over the summer. When you are in university you are typically in 4-5 days a week, most of the day to start with in first year. The contact time with lecturers gradually decreases throughout second and third year. This will vary depending on the university, but if you go in expecting this, then anything better than that is a bonus! You could always get in touch with Leeds and ask their specific hours?

The placement hours will depend on what sort of areas you go to. A community setting will typically do 8am-6pm hours, whereas a ward environment, you will be working nights and weekends (This is compulsory). Some areas only do short shifts (I.e. 6 hours), while others will only really do long days and nights (12.5 hours). This will simply depend on the area, as will how flexible they are with your shifts. Some will practically let you self roster with your mentor, others will give you the shifts, and be very unwilling to let you swap them.

Flexible work is very possible. Many students work as Bank HCAs. Many lecturers won't endorse additional work, and won't give you a reference for it (They aren't supposed to) however I think realistically, many students have no option but to do extra work in order to get by financially. What's important if you do take up extra work, is that you make sure it's a 0 hour contract, so that you are not committed to working a set day of the week or set hours per week as this simply isn't possible with the nature of the degree. You also need to ensure you leave enough spare time for uni work, and relaxing, and that when you go on placement you have enough energy to learn and practice safely. If you work too much, this could jeopardise your degree, or worse, your patients.

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your response . I have researched this long before I applied for this course , but there is no such thing as enough research right ? I have asked several nurses and student nurses and even the university lecturers what the course entails especially financially and to be honest , everyone says something different and focuses on their own perspectives. I do have another degree in a totally different line of profession (Accounting ) and when i did that it was easier for me to work because i only went to lectures 3 times a week which left me with 4 days to work and do assignments so back then it was manageable . I am asking because it is helpful to get different answers from a lot of different people in different situations . like i said not all situations are the same .

but thank you for your response it gives me another idea of what i can expect .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.