Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys, I'm in a dilemma. I currently do these three A-levels, History, Politics and Philosophy. I'm really unsure on what career path I should take and what degree I should do? I wanted to do law previously but its way too competitive for an average student like me. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Better chose a STEM subject or half of TSR will rage at you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RezzBerry)
    Better chose a STEM subject or half of TSR will rage at you.
    lol I wish but I'm not smart enough for that haha.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by average? What are your grades like? Have you considered doing something politics/history/philosophy related at uni then doing a law conversion?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by sarskinz)
    Hello guys, I'm in a dilemma. I currently do these three A-levels, History, Politics and Philosophy. I'm really unsure on what career path I should take and what degree I should do? I wanted to do law previously but its way too competitive for an average student like me. Thanks
    Well there are degrees in each of those subjects and there are joint degrees with those subjects.

B.A.s in:
    - History
    - Politics
    - Philosophy

Joint honours B.A.s in:
    - History and Politics
    - Politics and Philosophy
    - History and Philosophy
    - and so on.

I wouldn't worry about doing Law, a lot of firms will gladly take on non-law students and provide the necessary funds to do the conversion course as well as the legal practice course. In fact at most good law firms the split between non-law to law is usually 50:50 in new intakes.

As for careers, the good thing about the grad job landscape in the UK is that 80% of the grad jobs available out there don't require a specific degree which means a whole host of roles and industries are available to you as a humanities grad.

The important thing, however, is to make the most of your time outside of academia to keep yourself as competitive as possible for these jobs. This means get stuck into volunteering, be looking for work experience opportunities, develop your leadership skills by organising/coordinating things, cultivate your outside interests in the form of extra curricular activities etc.

Examples of careers would be: law (solicitor/barrister), finance (investment banking, securities research, asset management, sales/trading), HR, public relations, teaching, publishing, journalism, politics, consulting (management/strategy/IT), accounting, general sales, marketing, uni lecturing, general management etc.

There's a lot more, but these are what come to mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you are unsure about what you want to do (and most people at this stage don't, so don't worry about having it all planned out), my advice is

1) Choose subjects you think you will enjoy - it will help you work out where you might want to go in the future
    2) Choose subjects you think you will do well in - stronger grades will provide you with more diversity of options both in terms of getting into uni and careers afterwards

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.