Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking at doing nursing at Kingston, the annual cost of living in halls is £6,252 and I'd be getting a maintenance loan of up to £8,009. Then obviously I have to consider the price of travel, food, course materials, clothes, days/nights out ect. If I'd have time for a part time job then maybe it wouldn't be much of a problem but having lectures and placement there's no time for one.

I've lived in the north all my life and my family keep telling me there's no way I'd be able to budget living in London but I'm sure loads of people have managed it. My parents are very low paid and I'm currently doing a non paid work placement while at college so I was just wondering how possible it will be to live just on the loans they give you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pugpizza)
    I'm looking at doing nursing at Kingston, the annual cost of living in halls is £6,252 and I'd be getting a maintenance loan of up to £8,009. Then obviously I have to consider the price of travel, food, course materials, clothes, days/nights out ect. If I'd have time for a part time job then maybe it wouldn't be much of a problem but having lectures and placement there's no time for one.

I've lived in the north all my life and my family keep telling me there's no way I'd be able to budget living in London but I'm sure loads of people have managed it. My parents are very low paid and I'm currently doing a non paid work placement while at college so I was just wondering how possible it will be to live just on the loans they give you.

Lots of students work. Bank HCA work is flexible and will give you extra ward experience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilibet01)
    Lots of students work. Bank HCA work is flexible and will give you extra ward experience
    I'm not saying it'll be impossible to work, just very unlikely as most nursing students I've spoken to don't work
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor

It's doable, realistically you probably won't stay in halls for more than 1st year and are likely to get something slightly cheaper if you share a flat with a few other people. As has been said nurse bank is fully flexible (you give them your availability and they offer you shifts that match). You could also consider care agencies, which are just as flexible but you'd be working in local care homes. Bear in mind though, that most want a certain number of months experience so you might not be able to start this straight away. You should definitely have time for this while you're at uni and you are likely to not work full time straight away on placement.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying it'll be impossible to work, just very unlikely as most nursing students I've spoken to don't work
    You are talking to different people! Most of my friends have jobs. I'm lucky enough to not have to, but it is essential for quite a lot of people. You have to be uber organised and not let it affect placements/study, but it is doable.

ReputationRep:
    I'm also a northerner moving to London for nursing! All the student nurses I know work in some form or other, whether it's bank/agency or working in retail. I've been told the first term we'd be in uni more Mon-Fri when not on placement, but as the course goes on, you're in less and there's more independent study. It'll obviously be easier to work during term-time, but even if you're on placement and doing your hours over 3.5 days, you still have time to work another shift and have 2 days off

I'm doing the PGdip route and get waaay less funding (£6200) - but I'm determined to make it work x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.