Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IntelliBug)
    Well, democracy is hypocricy and so are all the rules emanating from it, such as the one being discussed. In reality, There is no such thing as freedom of speech, because one man's freedom will inevitably infringe another man's freedom. So my exercise of freedom of speech may offend another, therefore the need to implement laws, which result in erasing the whole concept of freedom of speech, and making it very contradictory. Therefore the saying 'One man's freedom is another man's misery" ... quiet precisely describes its implementation.

This shows another limitation of man-made system.
    Actually freedom of speach , as set out by the United Nations and signed by close to every country in the world, is pretty accurate about this:

Article 19, Part III

Everyone shall have the right to hold opinions without interference.

Everyone shall have the right to freedom of expression; this right shall include freedom to seek, receive and impart information and ideas of all kinds, regardless of frontiers, either orally, in writing or in print, in the form of art, or through any other media of his choice.

The exercise of the rights provided for in paragraph 2 of this article carries with it special duties and responsibilities. It may therefore be subject to certain restrictions, but these shall only be such as are provided by law and are necessary:
    1)For respect of the rights or reputations of others;
    2)For the protection of national security or of public order (ordre public), or of public health or morals.

ReputationRep:
    one man's freedom will inevitably infringe another man's freedom. So my exercise of freedom of speech may offend another.
    My freedom of speech and expression does not limit or infringe on your freedom of expression as long as i accept that what I say can cause you to invoke your freedom of speech and disagree. I think a more suitable quote would be "dissent is the sign of a vibrant democracy" because as long as I accept that you can disagree with me in the same way i disagree with you, we have democracy, which is fine. the problem comes when people start forgetting that your right to hold an opinion is equally as valid as mine.

This shows another limitation of man-made system.
    What are the other limitations and what would you have us use ? An alien-made system

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    Actually freedom of speach , as set out by the United Nations and signed by close to every country in the world, is pretty accurate about this:

Article 19, Part III

Everyone shall have the right to hold opinions without interference.

Everyone shall have the right to freedom of expression; this right shall include freedom to seek, receive and impart information and ideas of all kinds, regardless of frontiers, either orally, in writing or in print, in the form of art, or through any other media of his choice.

The exercise of the rights provided for in paragraph 2 of this article carries with it special duties and responsibilities. It may therefore be subject to certain restrictions, but these shall only be such as are provided by law and are necessary:
    1)For respect of the rights or reputations of others;
    2)For the protection of national security or of public order (ordre public), or of public health or morals.
    In theory only i m afraid, in reality the west or the preachers of democracy have failed to protect or even implement this rule, therefor the need to suppress people. If people are not free to say what they like or express themselves freely, its not freedom of speech anymore, its suppression.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tkfmbp)
    My freedom of speech and expression does not limit or infringe on your freedom of expression as long as i accept that what I say can cause you to invoke your freedom of speech and disagree. I think a more suitable quote would be "dissent is the sign of a vibrant democracy" because as long as I accept that you can disagree with me in the same way i disagree with you, we have democracy, which is fine. the problem comes when people start forgetting that your right to hold an opinion is equally as valid as mine.

What are the other limitations and what would you have us use ? An alien-made system
    There is a difference between freedom of expression and speech, so lets not mix the two here. If we simply agree to disagree, then why even blow the trumphet of freedom of speech, infact this shows how redundant and useless the whole idea of freedom is. According to this principle we are not suppose to freely speak, or if we do there is need for moderation.

This kind of contradicts the whole idea behind freedom of speech, which is to voice one's opinion in criticism or challenge upto an authoritive level.

Well, if aliens live in piece and harmony than why not?? :rolleyes: :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Not a myth, an illusion

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.