Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    In honor of his his 400th deathday last week!

I think my favourite is Romeo and Juliet - the characters, the plot and the dialogue work great together I think. Also Mercutio is the bomb.

I also saw Titus Andronicus at the Globe theater which was a great experience - so much blood and guts! How can you not enjoy a play where one character bakes another character into a pie and then feeds it to his own father? (/spoilers!)

What's your favourite play? How about favourite performance?

ReputationRep:
    My favourite is Hamlet (https://wordery.com/hamlet-william-s...-9781853260094) hands down. I studied it for my English Literature A Level and it was one of the few books which I haven't hated after analysing and studying it to death. Also I saw it in Cardiff last year and it was a really poignant performance.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Henry IV Part I is one of the great coming-of-age stories; Prince Hal goes from pub frequenter to heroic leader over-night.

John Falstaff is also a fantastic troublemaker when everybody else is behaving so seriously:

"What is honour? A word.
    What is in that word 'honour'? Air"

A belated happy Deathday, Willy.

ReputationRep:
    It really depends - I'm a total Shakespeare fan girl and love all of them. I like Hamlet because I've also done it for A-Level.. But I equally love some performances of Much Ado (David Tennant as Benedick. Perfection). Again, Rosalind from As You Like It is one of my favourite Literary heroines, and Twelfth Night is just hilarious.

It really just depends.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hamlet. I find the title character to be one of the most interesting and well-developed characters that Shakespeare ever wrote, and the play itself has some of my favourite scenes of all his works.

ReputationRep:
    It really depends - I'm a total Shakespeare fan girl and love all of them. I like Hamlet because I've also done it for A-Level.. But I equally love some performances of Much Ado (David Tennant as Benedick. Perfection). Again, Rosalind from As You Like It is one of my favourite Literary heroines, and Twelfth Night is just hilarious.

It really just depends.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Out of the Shakespeare plays I've read, Titus Andronicus has been my favourite. It combines a great story with enough gore to rival the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Surprisingly underrated too.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    Haven't read much of his work but I loved Macbeth a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Got to be Richard iii

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatLitStudent)

It really just depends.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ever seen the 1993 film version of Much Ado with Kenneth Branagh as Benedick? My favourite Shakespearean film adaptation, it's great.

I love Macbeth too. How he starts off with a glimpse of power and becomes so obsessive about earning more and more and more, how he's manipulated by Lady Macbeth and how his greed ultimately becomes his downfall. Incredible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bones-mccoy)
    Ever seen the 1993 film version of Much Ado with Kenneth Branagh as Benedick? My favourite Shakespearean film adaptation, it's great.

I love Macbeth too. How he starts off with a glimpse of power and becomes so obsessive about earning more and more and more, how he's manipulated by Lady Macbeth and how his greed ultimately becomes his downfall. Incredible.
    Yeah, I have! It's actually my favourite version, because, despite David Tennant being brilliant and the chemistry between Benedick and Beatrice being quite good, Catherine Tate (Beatrice) is a little slapstick... It's good for a laugh, but I would definitely say the Kenneth Branagh version is better

I confess, I don't really know that much about Macbeth, other than the basic plot! Any recommendations on versions that I should watch first?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatLitStudent)
    Yeah, I have! It's actually my favourite version, because, despite David Tennant being brilliant and the chemistry between Benedick and Beatrice being quite good, Catherine Tate (Beatrice) is a little slapstick... It's good for a laugh, but I would definitely say the Kenneth Branagh version is better

I confess, I don't really know that much about Macbeth, other than the basic plot! Any recommendations on versions that I should watch first?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ahh I love Kenneth Branagh! He's brilliant. One day I'll get around to watching his Hamlet!

Patrick Stewart plays Macbeth in a version set in Word War II - Macbeth and Banquo are soliders, the three witches are nurses etc etc, so it's not a direct page-to-screen adaptation but it's still great. I think Stewart's Macbeth was likened to Stalin in their similar quests for power?? Obviously being a tragedy it's quite a gloomy play anyway but a lot of it is shot in shadowy places with dim lighting and a sense of oppression, a physical representation of Macbeth's own growing mental prison. I liked it
    The film version that came out last year with Michael Fassbender is amazing, it's so, so beautifully shot, the lighting, the atmosphere, everything. It follows the play quite closely and the actors playing the two central characters (Marion Collitard plays Lady Macbeth) are just incredible. Fassbender's slow descent into madness is a treat.
    There's also a Ian McKellen/Judi Dench version from the 70s that I really want to watch. You can definitely get the Stewart version on YouTube, though!
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Has anyone watched the Russell T Davis Midsummer Night's Dream that's on the BBC at the moment? It's pretty good - a bit silly but that kind of adds to the fun of Shakespeare I think
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Macbeth and Hamlet :ahee:

Heard about AMND on the BBC but I just assumed that it'd be no good so I decided to stay away :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I am going to read some more of Shakespeare's plays during the summer, as I've only read Macbeth, Romeo and Juliet and Othello. I have also seen Othello broadcasted live from the National Theatre at my local cinema and on Wednesday I'll be seeing Hamlet this way as well. Recently, I've watched both series of The Hollow Crown (BBC adapting Shakespeare's historical plays into 2-hour TV programmes) and now I have a large interest in these plays and plan on reading them soon.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    Has to be Othello and The Merchant of Venice. I love the madness in Othello and the language in Merchant is just amazing!

ReputationRep:
    The Tempest, so much themes covered in so little! Also I find Prospero to be deeply interesting...

ReputationRep:
    I think 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' is a recessional wedding march.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.