Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Screwed up language writing exam - what is worse case scenario? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I had my Cambridge IGCSE German writing exam today.

The first question was a list of 8 words marked out of 5 - I think I got all of those correct. The second question was a short 90 word essay out of 15 marks - I think I did fairly well on this too.

But the final question went really really badly. There was a choice of three questions - I chose the first one. I wrote about half the essay then realised I'd misread the introduction part at the top and written about the wrong thing (later I found others in my class did the same thing). In a panic, because I was now not sure what I should be writing about, I crossed out the essay and began the second option question (with only about 15 minutes to spare). I wrote the essay but it was very rushed. I've later realised that I screwed up the past and future tense in it, possibly meaning that past and future tense wasn't included. I think this is pretty bad. I included future tense in my previous essay.

I tried to make a quick total my self. Due to the screw up in past/future, I didn't communicate the bullet points in the question well so I thought maybe 3/10 for content marks. I didn't count, but from trying to remember what I wrote, I used maybe about 7 or 8 verbs which probably corresponds to 2/8. And for language features I estimate about a 5/12 as I'm not sure how accurate my writing was due to it being rushed. Overall that's 10/30 which is fairly poor - especially as I can write much much better than that usually.

I know this is only a brief overview, but does anybody with any experience with Cambridge IGCSE know if based on the info I've given, whether my 10/30 estimate is too harsh or lenient.

Thanks a lot!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by xy_)
    I had my Cambridge IGCSE German writing exam today.

The first question was a list of 8 words marked out of 5 - I think I got all of those correct. The second question was a short 90 word essay out of 15 marks - I think I did fairly well on this too.

But the final question went really really badly. There was a choice of three questions - I chose the first one. I wrote about half the essay then realised I'd misread the introduction part at the top and written about the wrong thing (later I found others in my class did the same thing). In a panic, because I was now not sure what I should be writing about, I crossed out the essay and began the second option question (with only about 15 minutes to spare). I wrote the essay but it was very rushed. I've later realised that I screwed up the past and future tense in it, possibly meaning that past and future tense wasn't included. I think this is pretty bad. I included future tense in my previous essay.

I tried to make a quick total my self. Due to the screw up in past/future, I didn't communicate the bullet points in the question well so I thought maybe 3/10 for content marks. I didn't count, but from trying to remember what I wrote, I used maybe about 7 or 8 verbs which probably corresponds to 2/8. And for language features I estimate about a 5/12 as I'm not sure how accurate my writing was due to it being rushed. Overall that's 10/30 which is fairly poor - especially as I can write much much better than that usually.

I know this is only a brief overview, but does anybody with any experience with Cambridge IGCSE know if based on the info I've given, whether my 10/30 estimate is too harsh or lenient.

Thanks a lot!
    Nobody here saw your writing so can't give you an accurate mark. However, students tend to underestimate their grade. You've said you were panicking so that's likely to have affected your judgement. The only thing you can do is stop worrying and just wait and see.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 15, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.