Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

This is the first time posting to the forums. I've recently finished studying criminology at University and am very interested in pursuing a career in the RAF as RAF Police.

However, the deal breaker for me is to make sure my Macbook laptop will be permitted on site. I've literally just bought the thing about a month back (i'd hate to have to sell it) along with my newish Nikon Camera, as photography is a huge passion of mine and it will be something I won't be able to live without in my free time. So if I'm committing myself for up to 6 and or 12 years I want to make sure I can still do my hobby, as I'm always out and about shooting landscapes, plane spotting etc.

I hope someone can claify

thanks

Alex

ReputationRep:
    Believe me, plenty of people will have stuff that makes yours look cheap and amateurish!

Absolutely no reason whatsoever that you shouldn't be allowed to keep and use them. You will, however, know what you can and can't take pictures of on base...

And you might get bored of the plane spotting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Believe me, plenty of people will have stuff that makes yours look cheap and amateurish!

Absolutely no reason whatsoever that you shouldn't be allowed to keep and use them. You will, however, know what you can and can't take pictures of on base...

And you might get bored of the plane spotting.
    Thanks for the info. I've heard stories of people having laptops and camera gear confiscated from them by RAF superiors. Although they didn't say when or where this was. If there is a constant fear of having some of my camera gear, lenses and MacBook Pro confiscated then the job is not for me. I do understand that laptops aren't permitted during basic training, but I assume fine its afterwards?

I do love aviation lol haven't got bored of plane spotting yet. I'm currently studying for my PPL in a Cessna 150.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex_Smith_1993)
    I do understand that laptops aren't permitted during basic training, but I assume fine afterwards then?
    That certainly never used to be the case, pretty much everyone on my IOT had a laptop with them. Somebody who went more recently will be able to update you, but I think you've been hearing way out of date scaremongering horror stories. (Obviously you don't take them away with you on exercises)

It is important to note though that, if you get in, you're in the military and their rules come first. While I'd suggest confiscation is unlikely, there will be times when you're not allowed to take things with you - and your bags will be checked - and you need to be OK with that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.