The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

BazTheMoney
I think Oxford is the best in the world for debating. Oxford Union.

The GU has won the world debating championship 5 times since it was created, no other union/university has won it more than twice.
tomhitchings
Best:
Oxbridge, LSE, York
Next:
Warwick, Essex, Sheffield, Aberystwith,
And then:
Manchester, Nottingham, Durham, Bath

+ the rest

Based on my opinion but also on what I've heard form my uncle that is a lecturer in Politics at Durham.

I think I should put my biases on the table, I've picked LSE as my firm (ABB) and Warwick as my insurance (ABB)

I haven't put any scottish uni's down, as far as I know none of them have quite reached the standard of those that I listed above. If you're prepared to go a bit further south, then apply to York. It's not only a lovely place, but according to my uncle and a few others it has the ebst Politics course in the country.

If youre talking purely about a degree in politics then this could be about right, however if youre talking about preparation for involvement or a career in politics then Edinburgh+Glasgow should replace the majority of the english universities youve listed.
Reply 22
tomhitchings
My offer is for Government which, despite what someone else has said on this post, is basically just the same as a regular Politics course.

A lot of people have rightly been mentioning Sheffield, however I have found out that from next year onwards their typical offer will be ABB, as opposed to this years BBB. Although, from my experience (I applied to Sheffield) and having spoken to the admission tutors, they accept almost everyone (only 10 rejected out of 250 this year!) and I think that they would probably accept you if you just missed out on the grades (i.e. BBB, as you predict yourself). I would recommend applying to Sheffield, it's a good uni and it's especially good for Politics.

If I were in your situation I'd pick my best subject and go for ABB. I am absolutely convinced that anyone who is determined and works hard enough can achieve a grade A. If you really want it then you can do it.

I would also recommend that you apply to some English universities, that would make finding the right course far easier!

Best of luck, tom

After I made this thread I got my predicted grades for a level- AAB( !!)
My as results weren't particularly stunning though and Ive got a few retakes to push Bs up to As and a D(argh) to an A or a B, or thereabouts.

Are sheffield changing their entry requirements for 2005 entry?

I'm thinking of applying to glasgow, edinburgh, sussex(all for politics). Ive not really chosen any others yet, but thank you for all yr help
How did you do in yr a levels?
I'm going to Reading for politics and International Relations. Their department is also quite a good department and recieved a 5 rating for their research which beats even Cambridge's research score. Anyways, my offer was only BCC (their standard offer), which I met but due to supply and demand (which is also a reflection of the quality of the course) the offers for 2005 entry have risen dramaticaly to ABB-BBB if you check out UCAS. If you do look at the league tables, Reading is 30 something which is OK, but it is higher than uni's such as Durham, Sussex and Cardiff for Politics if you do base your descissions on league table rankings.

Oh and by the way, when it comes to Cardiff, don't apply there!!!! my dad's friend knows one of the uni's lecturers and he said that the course is really unorganised and is all over the place which is not a very good thing, just a suggestion though.

Latest

Trending

Trending