Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting English and Creative Writing at the University of Birmingham this year, but i'm concerned about the jump from A-level to degree level study and whether I'll be able to cope. Is the academic style of writing you have to adhere to significantly harder? And are there seminars to help you write in a more academic and sophisticated way? I seem to have convinced myself that I'm going to be judged on my abilities as soon as I get there, feel massively out of my depth and have really low grades. I hope someone can allay my doubt, because other than this worry, I am really looking forward to studying some of my favorite books in further depth. Thanks.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by vintage_laurel)
    I'm starting English and Creative Writing at the University of Birmingham this year, but i'm concerned about the jump from A-level to degree level study and whether I'll be able to cope. Is the academic style of writing you have to adhere to significantly harder? And are there seminars to help you write in a more academic and sophisticated way? I seem to have convinced myself that I'm going to be judged on my abilities as soon as I get there, feel massively out of my depth and have really low grades. I hope someone can allay my doubt, because other than this worry, I am really looking forward to studying some of my favorite books in further depth. Thanks.
    Hiya!

The jump between A Level and Degree level writing is a bit of a shock to the system - learning how to properly reference and structure your essays makes the experience of writing an essay very different for your degree. However, it's good to remember that practically everyone is in the same boat, having just come from A Level themselves, so the University will almost definitely have lessons in place to help you deal with the change. If you're still unsure after this, you'll be able to go and see either the tutor for the class you're struggling with, or your personal tutor that you will be assigned. Your personal tutor is a tutor you can go to for practically any problem that you're having - academic, personal etc - and they will support you as well.

I really would try not to let this get you down. Studying English is really rewarding (especially if you love reading), and you'll get into the swing of things really quickly. I was unsure in my first year of studying English at uni (I once put Wikipedia in as a reference which I have never lived down) but I eventually went on to do a MA in Modern Literature

Hope this helps, and let me know if you have any other questions

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Thanks for answering my question, it's really helped me stop worrying so much!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.