The Student Room Group

Am i going to get in? Help

I firmed my offer from Sheffield Hallam for sport science with conditions of 320 UCAS points which translates to DDM on my btec course, I am however going to be getting DMM which is 280 UCAS points, this is due to missing some distinctions in the first year and not doing so great last year. Should I be looking at going elsewhere? A lot of the people I've spoken to have told me that universities can still accept you if you don't meet conditions depending on course popularity and how much you've missed the condition by. Is there anyone on here that knows anything about how popular the sports and excercise course is and if there's much chance in me still getting an offer for 280 UCAS points? Anyone had a similar experience?
Thanks
Original post by fourfishfingers
I firmed my offer from Sheffield Hallam for sport science with conditions of 320 UCAS points which translates to DDM on my btec course, I am however going to be getting DMM which is 280 UCAS points, this is due to missing some distinctions in the first year and not doing so great last year. Should I be looking at going elsewhere? A lot of the people I've spoken to have told me that universities can still accept you if you don't meet conditions depending on course popularity and how much you've missed the condition by. Is there anyone on here that knows anything about how popular the sports and excercise course is and if there's much chance in me still getting an offer for 280 UCAS points? Anyone had a similar experience?
Thanks

If the course if filled up by applicants who meet their offers, or come closer than you to doing so, then you will be rejected. However, given that the course has been in clearing for the past three years you probably have a good chance assuming that the same pattern holds this year.
Original post by ageshallnot
If the course if filled up by applicants who meet their offers, or come closer than you to doing so, then you will be rejected. However, given that the course has been in clearing for the past three years you probably have a good chance assuming that the same pattern holds this year.

How do you find out if a particular course has been in Clearing for the past 3 years? Is there a source of such info or did you just happen to know about this particular case? Thanks
Original post by Quick_look_busy
How do you find out if a particular course has been in Clearing for the past 3 years? Is there a source of such info or did you just happen to know about this particular case? Thanks

The Daily Telegraph prints the clearing lists in a paper supplement every year. I have copies of 2013-15.
The Daily Telegraph prints the clearing lists in a paper supplement every year. I have copies of 2013-15.

Thanks. Don't suppose you could tell me if Leicester Uni Geology (F600) was listed in 2013 and 2014. I know it was in 2015. Numbers of places available would be a bonus if published?

Thanks
Thanks. Don't suppose you could tell me if Leicester Uni Geology (F600) was listed in 2013 and 2014. I know it was in 2015. Numbers of places available would be a bonus if published?

Thanks

Clearing lists never list number of places available.

And for what it's worth the listings on Thursday morning (results day) are based on lists provided to UCAS at 6PM on the Monday before - quite often universities will close courses and open others between the print deadline and Clearing opening on the Thursday morning. The paper listings are a *guide* but that's all they are.
Original post by PQ
Clearing lists never list number of places available.

And for what it's worth the listings on Thursday morning (results day) are based on lists provided to UCAS at 6PM on the Monday before - quite often universities will close courses and open others between the print deadline and Clearing opening on the Thursday morning. The paper listings are a *guide* but that's all they are.

Useful information. Yet another caveat.
Useful information. Yet another caveat.

Ok, thanks again. All very fluid then and perhaps a bit of a bun fight come treasure hunt on results day
Ok, thanks again. All very fluid then and perhaps a bit of a bun fight come treasure hunt on results day

I shall treasure this description and trot it out to the other mods when we are manning TSR Towers on results day. That is indeed what it is.

Geologist should be ok then - we're good with maps :ninjagirl:

Quick Reply