Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am a first year Law student, and I wanted to know what 40% means with regards to a Law exam paper. Say I'm taking a Criminal Law exam, and I need to do 3 questions out of a possible 6. Do I need 40% on every question to pass the exam, or 40% overall? I want to get above 40%, obviously, just trying to figure the system out. Thanks!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    If you do the full number of questions it asks, then you need to score an average of 40%. Same as for all your GCSE's , AS and A levels.

ReputationRep:
    First of all usually you have to answer all 3 questions in order to pass. i originally thought that you had to pass each individual question in order to surpass the 40%, however there was this girl in my class who failed 1 question and got a really good mark in the other question (it was a 2 question paper) and she still got 50%

Best emailing your course coordinator or lecturer if you really want to know
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by evalilyXOX)
    First of all usually you have to answer all 3 questions in order to pass. i originally thought that you had to pass each individual question in order to surpass the 40%, however there was this girl in my class who failed 1 question and got a really good mark in the other question (it was a 2 question paper) and she still got 50%

Best emailing your course coordinator or lecturer if you really want to know
    In all the exams I have ever sat, then the % is your overall weighted score taking into account all the questions you should have answered. In this case its 3. If they only bothered with 2 thats fine, but they will make it difficult as by default they have cut themself off form 1/3 of the marks available.

Seems pretty obvious. If it says answer 3 out of 6 then answer 3 out of 6,

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.