Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm really confused in to what direction to take for my future so any help is appreciated. I have spoken to career advisers at my college but havent really gotten anywhere. Due to retaking a year I'll be turning 20 so I really don't know my options and feel like they are limited in the sense that I'm no longer able to get student loan for further education and would have to pay. Originally I had the idea of always wanting to go into gaming however I feel like because I won't be getting into uni because of bad grades and lack of student loan that's not possible . There aren't any apprenticeships in gaming and I don't really want to take a course in something that is media related just because that is as close as I can get to gaming. I have recently been looking at taking online courses for psychology and counselling, but would I still have to pay? I have no previous studies in psychology so getting into uni to study this isn't possible. And I have no idea where to start! any recommendations for good courses and where to go next from here? Thanks for reading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chelle1996)
    Hi,
    I'm really confused in to what direction to take for my future so any help is appreciated. I have spoken to career advisers at my college but havent really gotten anywhere. Due to retaking a year I'll be turning 20 so I really don't know my options and feel like they are limited in the sense that I'm no longer able to get student loan for further education and would have to pay. Originally I had the idea of always wanting to go into gaming however I feel like because I won't be getting into uni because of bad grades and lack of student loan that's not possible . There aren't any apprenticeships in gaming and I don't really want to take a course in something that is media related just because that is as close as I can get to gaming. I have recently been looking at taking online courses for psychology and counselling, but would I still have to pay? I have no previous studies in psychology so getting into uni to study this isn't possible. And I have no idea where to start! any recommendations for good courses and where to go next from here? Thanks for reading.
    Why do you think so? There will be no limitation in getting a student loan if you have retook a year (universities do not particularly care, unless you are applying to a competitive course such as medicine).

There are various of way to get into the gaming industry without going to uni. Such include doing programming courses or apprenticeships (explained more in this link). Plus there are foundation years which you can apply for (Uni of South Wales offers ones), and courses such as this.

What are your grade prediction ( in terms of UCAS points or grades, but its okay if you don't want to say it).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    Why do you think so? There will be no limitation in getting a student loan if you have retook a year (universities do not particularly care, unless you are applying to a competitive course such as medicine).

There are various of way to get into the gaming industry without going to uni. Such include doing programming courses or apprenticeships (explained more in this link). Plus there are foundation years which you can apply for (Uni of South Wales offers ones), and courses such as this.

What are your grade prediction ( in terms of UCAS points or grades, but its okay if you don't want to say it).
    My careers advisor was actually the one to inform me because of my age I would be able to go into uni through a foundation course but would have to pay unless my parents earned under a certain amount of money . I'm not quite sure overall UCAS points but I'm predicted distinction/merit and am taken a 90 and 60 credit btec course. The problem I keep encountering with gaming is that I would like to go into the art design side of things and most foundation courses focus on coding/computer aspects. Would it be too late to apply for a uni course if I was too find one or should I pursue the psychology online class? I don't want to end up spending money on a course I don't want to do.

ReputationRep:
    My careers advisor was actually the one to inform me because of my age I would be able to go into uni through a foundation course but would have to pay unless my parents earned under a certain amount of money . I'm not quite sure overall UCAS points but I'm predicted distinction/merit and am taken a 90 and 60 credit btec course. The problem I keep encountering with gaming is that I would like to go into the art design side of things and most foundation courses focus on coding/computer aspects. Would it be too late to apply for a uni course if I was too find one or should I pursue the psychology online class? I don't want to end up spending money on a course I don't want to do.
    I have spent two years out working and now heading to Uni where I will turn 21 in September, I will be getting full funding therefore you should do. It is too late to apply to university but you can apply during clearing? I know Sheffield Hallams Game design course is meant to be good and is usually always in clearing

ReputationRep:
    You should not have a problem getting student finance for uni - ring up student finance england and tell them your age - roughly what parents earn a year and they will tell you what you could get - it really is that simple - they are also really helpful - acontium is right - you should be able to apply through clearing - you will have to pay to do an A level psychology course on-line and most people I know who are taking it at A level find it really hard - you are a long time in the world of work,so I would advise you to go for the thing that you really want to do - good luck.

ReputationRep:
    He's wrong. You will still get the full tuition loan, and also receive the maintanance loan regardless; whether you do a foundation yr or not.

You can't apply for this yr as applications have closed (unless you are applying to a higher education college). Go on UCAS course search (or google) and search "BA Games Design". I would advise not to pursue the psychology thing, since you don't seem interested in it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.