Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I aim to work in consulting for a top firm (MBB/OW/S&/LEK etc) but realise it may be a bit of a long shot as I don't have any offers from Oxbridge or LSE/Imperial. I have till 8th of June to decide between Nottingham (Economics with Chinese), Durham (Economics), Warwick (Management with a year abroad) and Manchester (Management with a year abroad); Given that all of the above are non-targets for consulting and those from non-quantitative degrees tend to be from Oxbridge/LSE would it be better to choose the slightly more quant degrees (Notts(added language advantage)/Durham) or go with the university that's a more traditional target (Warwick), especially given that I may aim to transition into finance on the buy side at some point in future.
    Thanks for reading.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Clive Lloyd)
    Hi, I aim to work in consulting for a top firm (MBB/OW/S&/LEK etc) but realise it may be a bit of a long shot as I don't have any offers from Oxbridge or LSE/Imperial. I have till 8th of June to decide between Nottingham (Economics with Chinese), Durham (Economics), Warwick (Management with a year abroad) and Manchester (Management with a year abroad); Given that all of the above are non-targets for consulting and those from non-quantitative degrees tend to be from Oxbridge/LSE would it be better to choose the slightly more quant degrees (Notts(added language advantage)/Durham) or go with the university that's a more traditional target (Warwick), especially given that I may aim to transition into finance on the buy side at some point in future.
    Thanks for reading.
    Warwick is the obvious choice..

Seen more Warwick folk than Durham/Notts at MBB/tier 2 if I'm honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Warwick is the obvious choice..

Seen more Warwick folk than Durham/Notts at MBB/tier 2 if I'm honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for replying, from what I can see on the lower end of MBB/tier2 more academic subjects seem to be valued, from looking at warwick grad destinations and linkedin i got the impression that most WBS undergraduates who aim at consulting end up in big 4. Would you say that warwick is still the best even if management doesn't have the best reputation in the UK as a subject?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for replying, from what I can see on the lower end of MBB/tier2 more academic subjects seem to be valued, from looking at warwick grad destinations and linkedin i got the impression that most WBS undergraduates who aim at consulting end up in big 4. Would you say that warwick is still the best even if management doesn't have the best reputation in the UK as a subject?
    out of the unis listed, yes..

know 2 warwick undergrads who int for McKinsey (albeit both studying econ)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yeah, WBS' reputation is leaps and bounds above Notts or Durham IMO.

EDIT: Just checked my Linkedin network, a couple people have landed strat consulting gigs from WBS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gr8wizard10)
    out of the unis listed, yes..

know 2 warwick undergrads who int for McKinsey (albeit both studying econ)
    On LinkedIn it seems most of the Warwick students represented study Econ but i suspect that it may be more to do with the fact more Econ students apply/tend to have higher grades.

(Original post by Princepieman)
    Yeah, WBS' reputation is leaps and bounds above Notts or Durham IMO.

EDIT: Just checked my Linkedin network, a couple people have landed strat consulting gigs from WBS.
    From undergrad? If so that's really reassuring to hear, would you be able to disclose the companies they work for (understandable if you cant to protect their identities). Also would you say that WBS is only prestigious at the MSc/MBA level or would you say it's well regarded at undergrad too?

Once again, thanks to both of you for replying, it's extremely helpful!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

From undergrad? If so that's really reassuring to hear, would you be able to disclose the companies they work for (understandable if you cant to protect their identities). Also would you say that WBS is only prestigious at the MSc/MBA level or would you say it's well regarded at undergrad too?

Once again, thanks to both of you for replying, it's extremely helpful!
    It has a solid rep across the board imo.

The subject representation doesn't matter tbh.. Econ students at Warwick are much more inclined to apply to all of these top companies/roles than any other students of any other subject. It's pure sampling bias.

Companies are what we're talking about: MBB + tier 2 (OC&C/OW/Monitor-D/Strat&/LEK etc).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hard to get into MBB in London from Warwick, mainly oxbridge and tiny amount of LSE, decent shot at just below though: I have a friend for summer at oc&c, a couple of summers at mbb abroad, know some who landed grad jobs at oc&c, strategy& and LEK, but quite rare, also 2-3 guys at mckinsey discovery and myself + possibly someone else at BCG london insight.

ReputationRep:
    Tbf, management differ a lot from econ, so think more about what you wanna study for 3 years imo, quite easy to get a 1st in mgmt at warwick though from what I've heard, 90% get 1st or 2:1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maestori)
    Tbf, management differ a lot from econ, so think more about what you wanna study for 3 years imo, quite easy to get a 1st in mgmt at warwick though from what I've heard, 90% get 1st or 2:1.
    say alhamdullilah

ReputationRep:
    Wow, its actually true 93% get 2.1 or 1st. Source: unistats

ReputationRep:
    Hard to get into MBB in London from Warwick, mainly oxbridge and tiny amount of LSE, decent shot at just below though: I have a friend for summer at oc&c, a couple of summers at mbb abroad, know some who landed grad jobs at oc&c, strategy& and LEK, but quite rare, also 2-3 guys at mckinsey discovery and myself + possibly someone else at BCG london insight.
    I figured it would be very tricky, do you feel that it would be trickier from Durham? Secondly would it make any difference whatsoever in my chances if I were to do my year abroad at a university better than Warwick?

I'm not 100% sure on exactly which I want to study, I marginally prefer Economics to Management but the experience of the year abroad offered by Warwick pretty much evens it up, gonna be a tough decision in June.

(Original post by spoli21)
    It tends to be pretty high for Management degrees, at bath 97% get 1st/2:1 with 42% getting firsts. I suspect it's the ability to inflate grades by padding it out with 'soft' modules if you're struggling,

ReputationRep:
    I am skeptical spending 9000 a year on most degrees, however with Warwick you can never go wrong. (Firmer for the same course)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spoli21)
    lol f***, my uni and course - only 20% scored 60% or above and 38% scored below 50%

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.