The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

endorf
yeah to be honest, i tried my hardest to stay away - but i couldnt take the pressure, so here i am. well its nice to be back in good company, with a few new faces (or not so many, as the picture thread not moved on much) around.

Stay stay.... it's quite cool after exams :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 41
lilsunflower
Wasn't the Cathedral used?
I'm really not sure..... :s-smilie:

Yes the cathedral was used.
According to google, the great hall they eat in is actually Christ Church college in Oxford.

In the cathedral they used the cloisters quite a bit. The scene in the first film, where harry releases the owl and it flys up between two towers is the Cloisters. Its one of the scenes used in the original trailer
Reply 42
its a fair point. i stand corrected. damn harry potter, although i can see why i was used cause it's stunning.

marc
Reply 43
Oh rite, i thought it was Durham Castle's Great Hall which was used, because that was what we were told on the open day when we went on tours.
Reply 44
Hey Sarah,

Formals at Mary's are really laid back. We have about 5 per term; one on the first Sunday of term for which you can wear anything (so pjs are great) as long as you have your gown. The next three are themed so again you can wear what you want in relation to the theme (though not compulsorary, lost of ppl just wear normal jeans/t-shirt stuff) eg we had Ken and Barbie this year which involved me wearing a very embarrassing skirt i made up out of netting - I looked fab though (well in my head anyway!). The last one is a repeat of the first just on the last Sunday of term. In Michaelmas its the Christmas formal which is great fun and you spend the whole day drinking, dancing and making a lot of noise.

We have proper formals ie black tie about once a term, Michaelmas Dinner, Mary's Day in Epiphany and the Summer Ball in Easter term. I don't think gowns are needed for these (def not Ball and Mary's Day).

Hope that helps

V -x-
Indeed of DSU fame :tongue:
Valen, I am surprised you haven't shown anyone the pic of you with that thing you called a pony-tail, all greased up with serum and held together with an elastic band. Seeing that was the funniest day of my life.
PS Playing guitar for 8 years without learning to play a song properly kinda sucks. Try harder matey, HAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
Valen mangled my foot, yes you did, A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Reply 46
trying to keep this thread almost in the realms of reality, does anyone know what the formal situation is at Collingwood caus im goin there to read law in Oct 2004. Help would be appreciated if anyone knows.
Reply 47
Plum
Hey Sarah,

Formals at Mary's are really laid back. We have about 5 per term; one on the first Sunday of term for which you can wear anything (so pjs are great) as long as you have your gown. The next three are themed so again you can wear what you want in relation to the theme (though not compulsorary, lost of ppl just wear normal jeans/t-shirt stuff) eg we had Ken and Barbie this year which involved me wearing a very embarrassing skirt i made up out of netting - I looked fab though (well in my head anyway!). The last one is a repeat of the first just on the last Sunday of term. In Michaelmas its the Christmas formal which is great fun and you spend the whole day drinking, dancing and making a lot of noise.

We have proper formals ie black tie about once a term, Michaelmas Dinner, Mary's Day in Epiphany and the Summer Ball in Easter term. I don't think gowns are needed for these (def not Ball and Mary's Day).

Hope that helps

V -x-
Indeed of DSU fame :tongue:

Oh goody - I like the sound of the themed ones! What do the Mary's gowns look like? And are these Mary's-girls-only affairs or do we get to drag people from other colleges there with us too?

xxx

Sarah

PS. Thanks for all the info! :biggrin:
Reply 48
Bubba Ho-tep
Valen, I am surprised you haven't shown anyone the pic of you with that thing you called a pony-tail, all greased up with serum and held together with an elastic band. Seeing that was the funniest day of my life.
PS Playing guitar for 8 years without learning to play a song properly kinda sucks. Try harder matey, HAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
Valen mangled my foot, yes you did, A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If that was the funniest day of your life then I pity you.

(For those of you who dont get it, i on one mufti day decided to have a bit of a laugh and put my hair in a pony tail! LOL it was classic, I looked like an idiot but it was funny)

And i have no idea where you got that guitar comment from, ive been playing for 8 years and am now fairly good, you clearly havnt heard me playing.

Im sure i speak for everyone when i say we would rather not see you in our forum again, as people like you are not welcome here.
Reply 49
Laces
Hey Shilling!....2 formals a week at Hatfield will give you many spoon-nicking opportunities! But i'll be watching you :P

Mwahahahahaha......*has kleptomaniac glint in eye*

Oh yeah....can our re-fresher Dave or any of the other current Durham students tell us about trophying and stuff? :smile:
shilling

And she's off :wink:
Gawd, i've just taken a moment to survey the future Durhamites thread....so many lawyers have popped up during my absense...It is going to be so strange seeing people from this website...like, eh :wink:
Reply 51
shilling

Oh yeah....can our re-fresher Dave or any of the other current Durham students tell us about trophying and stuff? :smile:

Trophying?

Surely students would never commit theft, deception, robbery, breaking and entering etc? :wink:

The most audaceous tale of trophying I have heard of was when 5 blokes from one college put on yellow jackets, and started to "borrow" a full size pool table from another nearby college. When spotted by a member of staff, he was so convinced by them he offered to help them lift it!

Also somebody I knew's boyfriend at Liverpool uni, stole an entire set of temporary traffic lights, thats three lights, a generator and a control box.

As most of the pool tables are rented they explained they were taking it away for repairs and that a replacement would be delivered later on that day.

edit: Theres also that good urban legend, of students, upon seeing workmen in the road tipping off the police that a bunch of students are pretending to be workmen and are about to dig up the road, and then tipping off the workmen to watch out for a bunch of students dressed as police officers.
When i was at the Hatfield open day I heard that another college had stolen the head of their lion costume....and that the college retaliated by blasting out 'Can you feel the love Tonight' until it was returned ...i thought that was fairly funny... :wink:
Reply 53
dave134

edit: Theres also that good urban legend, of students, upon seeing workmen in the road tipping off the police that a bunch of students are pretending to be workmen and are about to dig up the road, and then tipping off the workmen to watch out for a bunch of students dressed as police officers.

Hehehehe.....that's not bad. Does it really happen though?
dave134

That is absolutly brilliant!! :biggrin:
Laces
When i was at the Hatfield open day I heard that another college had stolen the head of their lion costume....and that the college retaliated by blasting out 'Can you feel the love Tonight' until it was returned ...i thought that was fairly funny... :wink:

Yeah there was a guy wandering round Hatfield with a big fluffly and manky lions head on! I really didn't know what was going on there, then later I saw another guy wearing the rest of the lion costume, but without the head! What's the lion for and why was it dismembered so?!
lil-pink-stars
Yeah there was a guy wandering round Hatfield with a big fluffly and manky lions head on! I really didn't know what was going on there, then later I saw another guy wearing the rest of the lion costume, but without the head! What's the lion for and why was it dismembered so?!

Well, the lion is their mascot...taken from the coat of arms thingy, i presume.

Dismemberment probably arose from Hatfield Hate...of course :wink:
Laces
Well, the lion is their mascot...taken from the coat of arms thingy, i presume.

Dismemberment probably arose from Hatfield Hate...of course :wink:

Oooh so that's why they were shouting something about Collingwood, they must have been the dismemberers!
Reply 58
lil-pink-stars
Oooh so that's why they were shouting something about Collingwood, they must have been the dismemberers!

what were they shouting about collingwood ???!!!
lil-pink-stars

Nasty Collingwood...there's always one bad apple :wink:

Latest