Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi, i was just wondering why the recent november papers are harder than the june ones? Like question 3 was about fractional and negative indices, and question 14 was circle theorems, whilst in june papers indices are usually question 20 and circle theorems are usually 23.
    i find them more difficult, however i notice i usually do well in the june ones (170-190).
    so am i just stupid or what

ReputationRep:
    There's more pressure on exam boards to make exams harder because people keep complaining exams are too easy and too many people are achieving good grades so exam boards have to make the next exam harder than the next. Since November papers are after the June papers, they are made harder. So June 2015 is harder than November 2014 because it is after Nov 2014 and Nov 2015 is harder than June 2015 because it is the paper after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LieutenantJ)
    There's more pressure on exam boards to make exams harder because people keep complaining exams are too easy and too many people are achieving good grades so exam boards have to make the next exam harder than the next. Since November papers are after the June papers, they are made harder. So June 2015 is harder than November 2014 because it is after Nov 2014 and Nov 2015 is harder than June 2015 because it is the paper after.
    ah i understand, thanks. wish people didnt complain!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    November papers are resit papers for those who didn't pass in June. From my experience they either make them really easy or really hard, but recently they've been leaning a lot more to the really hard side. I guess why they make them harder is so that people aren't getting their Cs any easier than people in June are getting Cs as that would be unfair and everyone would probably fail their June exam on purpose to sit the easier paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NiamhM1801)
    November papers are resit papers for those who didn't pass in June. From my experience they either make them really easy or really hard, but recently they've been leaning a lot more to the really hard side. I guess why they make them harder is so that people aren't getting their Cs any easier than people in June are getting Cs as that would be unfair and everyone would probably fail their June exam on purpose to sit the easier paper.
    that's what i was thinking, i realised that those papers are resits for the sixth formers as they didn't pass when it was actually their turn last year. so i guess it makes sense as to why it's more difficult as they had an extra few months to learn some more content, which is why it is justifiable that it's harder. Thank you as well

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 11, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.